Page 40 of 64 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Picture Of The Day

As with all things...what does she plan to do with it?
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I'm using a Panasonic Lumix.
    So not a cheap camera, but hardly top end.
    The thing to remember when you see a good picture that someone has taken, is that they probably took several dozen other bad ones that they deleted. You only get to see the good ones. The idea that someone (even top-end professional photographers) take good pictures all the time is not so.
    In that sense, digital cameras were/are a godsend to photography as a hobby - you can just take the picture and see what it looks like when you've got it on your computer. No time wasted on developing, no money wasted on buying film or paying for it to be developed. Just click the shutter and see how it comes out! If it's no good you delete it. Which is what happens to 99% of the pictures I take. I just save the good ones or the rare ones. And that's what people get to see and gives the impression that someone takes good pictures all the time and must be either talented or have Gucci equipment. Not so.

But it's also worth underlining what FF said - you can stack the odds in your favour by buying the right camera to start with for what you want to do. Do you want to do portraits, or landscapes? Wildlife shots, or macros? Deciding that will help make an informed choice from the off. Of course, many will say they want to do all of that. Such cameras do exist, but there will be a compromise which may mean it does none of those jobs really well, but can do them all acceptably. But no, you don't have to have the most expensive equipment. I haven't.

Oh, and one last addendum. Computer jiggery-pokery also helps! I keep it to an absolute minimum, but that's for two reasons - firstly, I don't like too much mucking about (but acknowledge that good use can make the picture look more like what you saw rather than 'enhancing' it to something you didn't actually see), but I also just don't have a head for that kind of thing! The most I might do is alter the contrast, sharpen it up, look at the brightness and possibly some colour saturation. That's the most I would do. I prefer to keep the fiddling to a minimum. But those post-picture computer sessions can help make a good picture into a great picture.
    Last edited by Humakt; 06-01-2016 at 09:20 AM.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Went for a walk this "morning" We are still a week or two from sunrise, but dawn is an explosion of colors and light.

Taken with 6 year old, second hand Canon EOS 50D with a kit lens, and developed in Lightroom CS to show what I saw.

Last edited by FishyFolk; 06-01-2016 at 10:34 AM.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Went for a walk this "morning" We are still a week or two from sunrise, but dawn is an explosion of colors and light.

Taken with 6 year old, second hand Canon EOS 50D with a kit lens, and developed in Lightroom CS to show what I saw.
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Wow, beautiful mate, and on your doorstep, who knows, one day I might get to see it in person ??

Quote Originally Posted by bopdude View Post
    Wow, beautiful mate, and on your doorstep, who knows, one day I might get to see it in person ??
    It was breathtaking this morning. I had to hurry up to get this picture done as I was so mesmerized by the beuty of the pre-dawn light that surrounded me. And now it's time to get out there again, because it's coming back as the sun goes lower under the horizon. Dark in two hours...
    (Roald Amundsen)

Makes for an interesting 'day'

As with all things...what does she plan to do with it?
    she wants to use it for general wildlife photography when she is out hiking around and for when she follows the hunt etc... not wanting to sell photos etc.. she would just like the option of printing one out and having it on the wall - blown up abit - if she gets a good photo without it looking pixelated!

Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    I'm using a Panasonic Lumix.
    So not a cheap camera, but hardly top end.
    The thing to remember when you see a good picture that someone has taken, is that they probably took several dozen other bad ones that they deleted. You only get to see the good ones. The idea that someone (even top-end professional photographers) take good pictures all the time is not so.
    In that sense, digital cameras were/are a godsend to photography as a hobby - you can just take the picture and see what it looks like when you've got it on your computer. No time wasted on developing, no money wasted on buying film or paying for it to be developed. Just click the shutter and see how it comes out! If it's no good you delete it. Which is what happens to 99% of the pictures I take. I just save the good ones or the rare ones. And that's what people get to see and gives the impression that someone takes good pictures all the time and must be either talented or have Gucci equipment. Not so.

But it's also worth underlining what FF said - you can stack the odds in your favour by buying the right camera to start with for what you want to do. Do you want to do portraits, or landscapes? Wildlife shots, or macros? Deciding that will help make an informed choice from the off. Of course, many will say they want to do all of that. Such cameras do exist, but there will be a compromise which may mean it does none of those jobs really well, but can do them all acceptably. But no, you don't have to have the most expensive equipment. I haven't.

Oh, and one last addendum. Computer jiggery-pokery also helps! I keep it to an absolute minimum, but that's for two reasons - firstly, I don't like too much mucking about (but acknowledge that good use can make the picture look more like what you saw rather than 'enhancing' it to something you didn't actually see), but I also just don't have a head for that kind of thing! The most I might do is alter the contrast, sharpen it up, look at the brightness and possibly some colour saturation. That's the most I would do. I prefer to keep the fiddling to a minimum. But those post-picture computer sessions can help make a good picture into a great picture.
    great info - thanks, ill make sure my mrs reads this!!

WOW... this looks like a windows screen saver!! amazing photo