Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Byer MicroRope Hammock System?

Byer MicroRope Hammock System?

Has anybody tried the Byer Microrope suspension system for hammocks?

I came across them on youtube and thought they looked decent mod, lower weight and quicker/easier to use. Is anybody using them here or have used them in past? Just looking for some opinions on them.

"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Looks ok but I like to have my hammock tight so I sleep level, I think there are better ways to achieve that for me personally.

If you just want a quick, light set up they look good. But I bet you could make it yourself with some climbing rope?

Quote Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
    But I bet you could make it yourself with some climbing rope?
    I use 2 dynema slings for tree huggers, 2 alloy Krabs for connectors and a bit of amsteel blue threaded through the hammock ends as continuous loops, i can extend the hang length by threading the suspension systems through each other, or shorten them by clipping through the loops. I also carry a spare sling, always comes in handy

Total cost.....£3 for the amsteel the climbing stuff was free as they were all condemned fro climbing use due to age or abrasion damage ok i wouldnt trust them to a dynamic fall loading, but as part of a static system they should be good for years
    Last edited by Silverback; 04-07-2013 at 02:04 PM.
    [

Tree damage!!!

Anyone using narrow cord wrapped around the tree like that to hang a hammock should be hung from it. This will damage the bark and ultimately the tree so use the tree straps/huggers folks.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Tree damage!!!

Anyone using narrow cord wrapped around the tree like that to hang a hammock should be hung from it. This will damage the bark and ultimately the tree so use the tree straps/huggers folks.
    Must admit I didnt look at the video / product...but now I have. As Jus says Adz this will damage trees.
    [

Tree damage!!!

I agree Jus. I always use 2" wide huggers, whether using SLS or direct to hammock fitting.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

I use liros dyneema rope you can buy on ebay 5mtr of 4mm =£3.50 + p&p, it has a breaking strain of >700lbs ie 50 stone. You could easily make ali toggles but I use ABS tent stakes and a marlin spike hitch.....cheap and quick to do.Hope this helps, Ken. LNT. Oh forgot to say I use this system with tree huggers on the tree first
    Last edited by Rasputin; 04-07-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    ...Oh forgot to say I use this system with tree huggers on the tree first

Welcome to the forum Ken. Pop in here http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...-the-Community! and introduce yourself to the community.

Tree damage!!!

Not that I don't believe you but I dont really see how they could do any damage?, Dont DD and other companies also sell "whoopie slings" which are even more narrow? The Byer ropes are sold on bushcraft store and others. I can understand your logic, ie more narrow could potentially dig into tree etc but they would have to be very narrow and carry heavy weight to do that surely? If that isnt what you meant please give more detail.

btw, I haven't bought these or saying I'm going to try them, Just curious and wanted info so thanks for reply. Think I'm going to just mod the original webbing with karabiner clip or get some tree huggers for now.
    Last edited by ADz; 05-07-2013 at 03:51 AM.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

It's true, the narrow rope can under tension cut into the trees nutrient mechanism in the inner bark, effectively 'ringing' the tree. Generally woopie slings are used in conjunction with tree huggers, the huggers spread the load more evenly across the bark and don't cause this damage.
    The DD suspension system's not a bad deal to be fair, although you could do it without the krabs and just larks head the woopies directly onto the hammock using the woopies fixed eye. If your worried about water ingress just tie a bit of paracord onto the woopie to act as a drip line .