Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The state of the economy..

Quote Originally Posted by rossbird View Post
    I tend to agree with Luresalive, this isn't the first or last depression the world will encounter.
    Sure, but will you be one of them that makes it out of the other side ? By having a little foresight and some knowledge and skills (not necessarily building a butter mountain) you can improve your chances.
    [

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    I laughed when I saw the well stocked freezer
    Yeah, and also that they had their names and faces on there.. Guess where all their friends and neighbours will be going if it does all go Pete Tong.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
    Yeah, and also that they had their names and faces on there.. Guess where all their friends and neighbours will be going if it does all go Pete Tong.. lol
    Did you see the bottles of bollinger champagne ? Lifes little comforts eh, like the fresh meat in the freezer -
    [

Hobo
    Sounds like dry food companies are playing on worries. Lursealive is right the depression in early part of 20th century was worse. We'll probably see some countries drop out of EU sometime next year and then EU will be much stronger.

Tribesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Sure, but will you be one of them that makes it out of the other side ? By having a little foresight and some knowledge and skills (not necessarily building a butter mountain) you can improve your chances.
    Know what your saying Sapper, for now, I'm concentrating on finding enough work to pay the bills. This will help me build up my resources ( Tools, equipment etc)
    Already have several localities for a base....should the need arise.
    I wonder how long the natural resources in a small country like ours, would sustain a reasonably sized population?
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

Know what your saying Sapper, for now, I'm concentrating on finding enough work to pay the bills.
    Amen to that brother, I'm in the same boat myself. I also have a couple of places to scoot to...one has its own well and is well stocked with stuff. Knowledge is free and worth its weight in gold whilst work is thin on the ground I'm making myself aufait with new skills and honing some old ones.
    [

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    There will be no 'collapse'. The 'economy' is what people buy and sell, not what the stock exchange values companies at.

No matter how much the press tries to talk things down and into a depression we all have to buy things including accomodation, food, clothing, fuel and other essentials and most people want to buy luxury items like cars, televisions, white goods etc as well as leisure purchases like restaurants, cinema, theatre etc. The vast majority of people in the western world are in employment and have disposible income which they will spend. You may not be able to afford to do some of these things but many many people can and do.

My company is enjoying its second successive record year of sales and we are allied to the building industry. I was in a design and shopfitting business in Somerset today and they are doing so well that they have just moved into larger premises about double the size of their old premises. I asked if business was good and they said that it was and that retailers are spending big money on shopfittings to bring their businesses up to date.

Yes, things are tough at the moment for many people. I am earning less, in real terms, than I was three years ago but I still have to spend and so does everyone else.

Don't believe the propoganda which is being spread by the press.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    There will be no 'collapse'.
    I dont believe the hype....... I'm just seeing it with my own eyes and hearing it from my mates who are losing their jobs.

Try coming up North, it will open your eyes.

Recently a company here advertised 2 vacancies, they got over 600 applicants. Our high street is almost empty, there is very little new build in construction, either residential or commercial.....

Never mind the Olympics will bail us all out of the sh*t
    [

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bencasey2001 View Post
    What normally happen in financial crisis is they have the odd world war it sorts out the over population and gets the ecconomies going
    That is absolutely correct..which is why I mentioned Iran.

I really can't see the whole world collapsing from a recession.
    When in doubt Brew-Up!