Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hand line setups

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    For trout and other predatory fish i would use a fly fishing lure with plenty of feather, but trout can be fickle so a selection of colours is recommended. Other than that small spinners also work well. For bait fishing remember the KISS acronym when hand lining and worms are still the best all rounder.

A big fish will take a small lure but a small fish will be intimidated by a big lure so small is better IMO, personally Ive had more success with worms but if you cant find worms ? lure or fly. Its the same with hooks not too big, I use a 4 or 6 and a shot about a foot from the hook and a bit of tinfoil wrapped around the shot as an attractor (its not only mackrell that are attracted to shiny things) Trout are wily and nervous fish so stay low or hidden and dont make too much noise cos they hear/feel/see you . With a worm and shot I can get a reasonable cast but if you want to get ffurther out you have to increase the weight ! Simples, practice and experience. Try different variations in the garden to get your arm in. Personally I prefer to set up a trip on a springy branch that will set the hook for you, I also have a yoyo reel .ATB buddy, Ken
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Thanks ken, wise words from the mad monk as ever
    Winter is coming

I have caught the likes of perch, trout and many sea fish on lures that would make you think they should be choking on them, so always be ready for a surprise take
    I have even lost a boat rod overboard complete with rod holder on one occasion, it's a hard lesson

Quote Originally Posted by Valantine View Post
    I have caught the likes of perch, trout and many sea fish on lures that would make you think they should be choking on them, so always be ready for a surprise take
    I have even lost a boat rod overboard complete with rod holder on one occasion, it's a hard lesson
    Aw shucks ! thats a new....one that got away story, lol
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Another one was when i nearly lost a beach rod when a very large fish pulled it off the rest when it took the crab leaving me with only one of the crabs legs on my hook.
    The said crab was pinching my bait at the time

I've gone out hungry, and caught my dinner with a handline. For me they are essential bits of kit. It was the first method of fishing, that I was taught.
    Grab the line about 6-12 inches from your weight. Unravel extra line watch it doesn't tangle. Start spinning the weighted hook end in an under arm motion, when you reach speed release.
    I once watched my uncle drop a line over the boat and instantly start winding in. I asked "what's wrong", to which replied. "nothing, ive got a bite" quicker than the time it took me to write this line.
    I love them. I've got a few, some "H" shape some oval. Two i can place a pole in the end and hang my line through.
    He who says "he can" and he who says "he can't", are both usually right.

If I were going to use a handline I would start with either 8/10Ib mono or if I have it, some braid.

Where in the water you want to fish will depend on what rig you will need. For bottom fishing I would use a basic running ledger rig. All this can be is a weight threaded onto the line, then a bead and finally a swivel tied to the end of the line. On the end of the swivel on the other side attatch thinner line, maybe 6lb about 12 - 15 inches long finished with a hook. A nice juicy worm on the hook will tempt any fish passing by.

Fishing the top of the water you will be better off with a system that includes a small float weighted with some shot. Use the same sort of hooklength with a small hook and you shouldn't have much problem catching roach.

Ammo, you made me remember this.....YouTube of a guy making a hobo setup. At 3:40 he casts and catches a fish! lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UavI4ApwkA0&app=desktop

Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    Ammo, you made me remember this.....YouTube of a guy making a hobo setup. At 3:40 he casts and catches a fish! lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UavI4ApwkA0&app=desktop
    Oh that is the most laid back fish I ever saw, must be one o them Hippy fish