Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lofty Wiseman on Mears and Grylls

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Ray Mears probably think the same about the "tatood idiot" as you think of Ray Mears...
    If you get offended my an old man throwing a few remarks in jest, you have a lot to learn about life :-)
    I'm offended by his pompousness, FishyFolk.

Ray Mears simply said, "as far as I'm concerned these people are just showmen", or something to that effect.
    Grylls said a few polite words about Mears in return and didn't take it too bad.

This man, an elderly man who you'd think would be humble in his approach, turns around and bellows out his dissaproval of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakenwise View Post
    I'm offended by his pompousness, FishyFolk.

Ray Mears simply said, "as far as I'm concerned these people are just showmen", or something to that effect.
    Grylls said a few polite words about Mears in return and didn't take it too bad.

This man, an elderly man who you'd think would be humble in his approach, turns around and bellows out his dissaproval of the two.
    Well, well,
    If you wanna learn anything about bushcraft and survival in the woods, I suggest you pick up a book. Namely this elderly mans book, as
    he wrote the book worth having on the subject. "The SAS Survival handbook" by Lofty Wiseman. Ray Mears and that other feller probably did.

Actually, I suggest you add it permanently to your pack.
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 10-09-2012 at 09:37 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Well, well,
    If you wanna learn anything about bushcraft and survival in the woods, I suggest you pick up a book. Namely this elderly mans book, as
    he wrote the book worth having on the subject. "The SAS Survival handbook" by Lofty Wiseman. Ray Mears and that other feller probably did.
    Don't assume I don't read. I have plenty of books on the subject. ; )

Anyway, Fishy, don't you see my point that his approach to commenting on Mears and Grylls was a bit... brash? I don't care if he's some sort of survival God, it's the way he presented himself there...

Tribal Elder
    Ray Mears probably think the same about the "tatood idiot" as you think of Ray Mears...
    If you get offended my an old man throwing a few remarks in jest, you have a lot to learn about life :-)
    hear hear lol
    'Experience is the most efficient teacher of all things,'

Tribal Elder
    Well, well,

Actually, I suggest you add it permanently to your pack.
    'Experience is the most efficient teacher of all things,'

All had to start somewhere, ad like many well know advances or sets of knowledge, in this case, started within the military......

Let's just say that it seems that everyone has it out for averyone in this business:

Lofty Wiseman is after Bear Grylls for being a reckless showman - and after Ray Mears for being a arm-chair/academic survivalist. He is right imho. - but, on the same page, I do not think he has any need to be rude about it. He is the author of The SAS Survival Handbook, he shouldn't feel the need to proove anything to anyone.

Ray Mears is after Bear Grylls for being a showman and for being reckless teaching bad "survival" techniques. Ray once called Bear a "boy scout" - meant as an insult.

Bear Grylls is after no-one really. Read his books; he is a suprisingly humble person. Personally I am not a fan of his "teachings", but I respect him for being a former SAS-R and for the fact that he has climbed Mount Everest with a healing broken bag. His response to Ray Mears' "boy scout" comment? Bear took it as a compliment, as he refused to accept the term "boy scout" to be an insult.

Les Stround has displayed his resentment towards Bear Grylls, once asked by a fan - but only by refusing to comment on Bear Grylls. Les is normally very down to Earth though - he is my favourite among th TV crowd.

Dave Cantebury is after no-one - but it seems that a lot of people are after him, supposedly because he has been less than honest about his military career. Perosnally I think he seems like a nice guy - and I like his principle of sharing knowledge freely.

Cody Lundin is, seemingly, after anyone teaching survival and bushcraft in any form. Imho. he may be an expert in his field, but reading his comments on his homepage, leaves me with the impression that he is a pompous p***k.

Mors Kochanski is the father of "modern" bushcraft - he coudln't care less about the present TV crowd. His book "Bushcraft" is imho. still the best allround bushcraft manual out there.

This always makes me think of something one of my teachers at business school told us; "Never sell yourself and/or your product by pointing out what the competitor's can't - always tell what you/your product can"!"
    Last edited by JEEP; 11-09-2012 at 06:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Oakenwise View Post
    Don't assume I don't read. I have plenty of books on the subject. ; )

Anyway, Fishy, don't you see my point that his approach to commenting on Mears and Grylls was a bit... brash? I don't care if he's some sort of survival God, it's the way he presented himself there...

I can't see what is not there. :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I am sensing a little pettiness here folks. You don't want to go getting Martin all upset now do you ?

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    The SAS survival handbook may be one of the originals, but its not all good advice in there..

Ray is my fav on telly, but Mors is an amazing person, with so much energy, experience and knowledge.
    And while I am at it, this guy is the best Bushcrafter I know. Very good blog too.. http://naturallore.wordpress.com/

Dissing other people in the same trade as you is common in any trade. Its just people being people. Put many people on stage and they will try anything to get a laugh, and I bet one of the most common questions Lofty gets asked is "what do you think of Ray Mears or Bear Grylls..?" I bet he is fed up of being asked..