Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bushcraft popularity?

Quote Originally Posted by KaiTheIronHound View Post
    Phil, i also like being the only one in the woods! I dont mind other people when they are responsible with the environment. Unfortunately many of my good spots have now been invaded by bloody motorcross idiots who tear up the ground and leave trash everywhere. Makes me angry!
    Motorcross seems to be growing in popularity. There's a lot more torn up woods and paths now than there was a couple of years ago.
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    As far as previous comments in this thread are concerned, wristbands are issued and checked as a means of identifying those who have entered via the front gate legitimately and those who have jumped the fence. That is to make it fair to those who have paid to enter and therefore contributed to all the infastructure on site that everybody uses.

Martin, I assume you don't want to make a living or feed your family with the money you earn from your career. That is all we do.

Roger
    www.wildernessgathering.co.uk
    The wristband incident I saw was a school was giving a talk in the large open area we were all sat and stood listening and a chap was going around checking bands to see what colour they were, not only was he checking but also actively moving people on who had the wrong band to stand and listen to a talk, it wasn't a master class etc maybe the talks should be given in a roped off area and checked on entering to avoid the situation in the first place. On the plus side it's an opertunity to browse stalls of second hand kit !!

I appreciate the checking of the bands, I'd be peeved if someone had got in free when I had paid 75-80 quid to get in

I've been a few times but for now that will be it due to cost and fuel etc etc

Basha
    Last edited by Basha72; 03-04-2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Not finished !

Quote Originally Posted by Basha72 View Post
    I've been a few times but for now that will be it due to cost and fuel etc etc
    Basha
    I think that the cost of fuel is going to be the killer for a lot of "outdoors" activities. I live near to a "weekend Holiday" area and have seen fewer visitors around.
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadkillphil View Post
    At the Cornwall RV I will be doing one workshop ( it's all I can afford) I will nonetheless be paying for knowledge and skill sharing. But I feel it is fairly priced, both the event and the workshop.
    You can do two if you want mate.. I don't charge for going on the pole lathe. All the materials used come free to me..

Interesting thread this.. I whole heartedly agree with passing on knowledge for free, and any meets held at the farm here will always be free, but I fully understand that big meets like the Wilderness Gathering, BcUK meet and the RV etc have to come at a cost. Same as if you go to a dedicated Bushcraft school.
    At the end of the day.. You pays you're money (or not) you takes you're choice. There will always be small meets every so often that you can get to for free, or for a small fee and you can learn stuff, but its also good to get to the big meets (imo) that have a schedule, where I believe you learn more stuff.

I love that so many people go out on their own, I really should do that again somewhen. You really do see and hear more wildlife that way and you learn by being hands on.

Back to the subject, I do not believe Bushcraft is growing less popular. The RV for one is certainly getting bigger and bigger, and just because you are not getting so many threads on the forums doesn't mean there are less people out there. I think people just do their own thing and do not need to shout it from the roof tops.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
    You can do two if you want mate.. I don't charge for going on the pole lathe. All the materials used come free to me..
    Geddon! I didn't get a chance last year I need some ideas on what to make though...

I equally enjoy spending time alone in the woods as I do at a small or even large meet. All the time out there is special and some of it comes at a monetary cost, some of it doesn't.

Youm right Jonny, some folks just like to learn wilderness skills and don't yap about it as much as the likes of I!!
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post

I love that so many people go out on their own, I really should do that again somewhen. You really do see and hear more wildlife that way and you learn by being hands on.
    To me, that is a major part of bushcraft. Many times, I have been at a meet, when the knowledge I share with people, comes entirely from personal experience, that I only really do when I'm on my own. At larger meets, or meets with a few good friends, it's easy to be lazy, and just sit back and drink, chat, laugh, and have a good ol' time.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Back to the original question

im still interested in bush craft and im off out for 2 night with a mate of mine who is just getting into it i think with some people its in there blood others try it and don't like it either way im hear to stay
    Bush Craft Is For Everyone Its Only Fair To Share!!!

I think that it has gone quite!!! Because most people have had to tighten their belts and pay bills etc before having money to play with.
    I myself have not stopped working and only now can I think of getting out and enjoying the wilds, I don't like to pay for something I can either get from online or talking to people and having ago and having a bit of trial and error. So I am selective in courses, and only research who to go to and use by their time in bushcraft, don't like newer schools with lots of fancy hype.
    So anyone ine Kent in a couple of weeks might want to get out PM me I don't charge for a chat and brew, might even have a laugh..

Hi all.

I have watched this thread with great interest and on the whole I agree with everything that has been said.

I whole heartedly sympathise with you on the motocross bike issue and I would like to extend this out to include some of the "mountain bike warriors" who seem to bomb around my local woodland. One of which once informed me that I should keep off the footpath in case I got run over by a mountain biker!! When I responded by advising him to "go forth and multiply", he tried to justify his statement by saying he was only trying to do me a favour!!

For me, there is no one "definitive" answer. I think that a combination of finances, lack of available woodland, time of year etc are all contributing factors. I also agree with the comment that as there currently are no real "bushcraft oriented" shows in the limelight at the moment, this may affect the broader popularity base.

However, with all this having been said, I work for a very large national chain of well known DIY/home enhancement stores and all the staff know that bushcraft is "my thing". All of the staff in the store have voted overwhelmingly that the next team building day be "bushcraft related" such as fire lighting, bushtucker challenges and a pit roast meal to finish the evening out.

This got me thinking that maybe our passion for our hobby could inspire where the lack of descent tv programmes are failing?

Ade.
    Last edited by AdrianRose; 04-04-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Yeah Mountain Biking is really big over here at the moment I think it's taken over from bushcraft, the amount of MB's I see over here far outweighs bushcrafters and even dog walkers, and the swathes they cut through virgin woodland is ridiculous, causing a really alarming amount of new furrows that other people now use as a path thus opening up the recesses of the woods even more and causing greater disruption to wildlife!