Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: advice first time wild camping

Alone in the Wilderness

advice first time wild camping

Hi,

I am 38 year old male looking for some advice if possible

I don’t no whether this the right forum but coming year i want to do some wild camping for the first time. I have been interested in this for quite sometime but never got around to actually going for, it because i have not been able to convince anyone to come along. So i have decided to go for it this year on my own.
    I obviously dont have any experience (I have only ever done normal camping, and camping when night fishing)
    First time i was thinking of Dartmoor. I want to stay for two days (one night) and do a fair bit of walking obviously.
    Any feedback on the following would be very much appreciated.
    - What would be the risks going by myself? (only my wife would no my route i think)
    - What would earliest in the year in should schedule this for? (temperature wise)
    - Minimum equipment that i should buy.
    - Any pointers on good routes to walk in Dartmoor?

Hi,

I am pretty new to this myself and I contacted a local landowner to let me practice. I certainly would not reccomend dartmoor for a first attempt. I was quit disturbed by the effect of having little knowledge and its effects on my weekend. I also wouldnt leave my wife as the only one who knows where you are, her first port of call will be the life insurance policy, lol,.

I am sure you will get plenty of opportunity and willing helpers on this site to get you started. It would help if we knew your location because you never know whats round the corner.

Dont get eaten by the bears

Alone in the Wilderness
    Quote Originally Posted by Comptona View Post
    Hi,

I am sure you will get plenty of opportunity and willing helpers on this site to get you started. It would help if we knew your location because you never know whats round the corner.
    Thanks for the reply, I live in Berkshire

"

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Go for it..
    Plan your route well (you can have just as much fun planning a route). Study the terrain on a good map. Pick your overnight location well. Let people know your start time and estimated finish time, just in case it all goes Pete Tong.
    Kit wise.. You have to carry it, so the more you pack, the heavier it will be..
    Dartmoor is a great place to wild camp, but do not underestimate the place. If the mist comes in, it all looks the same and your navigation skills will be tested..
    For a two day trip, you could start at somewhere like Okehampton and head South, picking up a few Tors on route. I did that a few years back. We got to a pub between the North and South Moor, had a few jars, and then went and found a spot to kip the night, and headed back to the car in the morning.
    Make sure the Military are not active when you go (details on your map of the area). Walking on the moor can be very hard on your legs if you get into boggy areas, so allow for longer times to get to your destination.
    Last edited by JonnyP; 29-12-2010 at 05:58 PM.

Tribal Elder
    Top tip. Get a bivvy bag and a thermal blanket (reflective metallic sheet).

Don't get a camoflage bivvy bag get a bright orange one like this http://www.ronniesunshines.com/nato-...ts-p-1060.html.

Thermal blanket here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifesystems-.../dp/B000SQEDM2

If the weather moves in throw the bivvy bag over yourself - itll keep you dry and youll be visible. Also keeps you warm.

If the cold weather really hits throw up the bivvy and the put on the blanket.

I am enthusiastic about these bits of kit because they are small, cheap and could have stopped a lot of deaths/near deaths in the highlands. Don't under estimate the value of <£10 worth of kit.

Alone in the Wilderness
    thanks very much gents much appreciated

Hi, A few more tips that you might consider...

Think about your stove or fire and your meals - will you cook or use dehydrated foods - there is a difference between boiling water for a cuppa and a dehydrated pre-preapared meal or a pot noodle and cooking meat, potatoes and 2 veg. My recommendation would be to start simple for one night out and go for the boiling water option and use dehydrated meals or ready pkt meals that you leave in the foil bag and pop in a pot of water to heat up. If your not confident about a fire then go for a meths stove system to start with (easy & cheap) or a small gas canister stove (also cheap). A small billycan type pot with a lid will serve as both a saucepan and kettle.

Light - An LED headtorch is a good idea, you can pick them up for a few pounds and they are great because they leave both hands free and can be used as tent light as well.

Safety -In addition to what's been suggested already, If you are going onto Dartmoor or similar teraine then take an emergency whistle and know how to use it in an emergency and don't rely on your mobile phone in the event of an issue as the signal can be variable. Whatever the time of year, check the local weather before your trip and on the day and be prepared for a wet trip. Don't over-estimate how far you can walk with a loaded pack. If your solo wild camping you will need to pay attention to assessing risks when you are out, even silly things like crossing water, climbing steep tracks, using a knife etc take on a different perspective if you have a problem and you are alone. Think about your "back-door" plan - what's your get out quick plan if you have trouble.

Take a first aid kit as a must.

Cost - Don't invest a shed load of money on kit until you know you like wild camping... might want to consider borrowing some kit initially whilst you do your first couple of trips and this will help you to decide what kit you want/need.

Paul.
    Last edited by paul standley; 29-12-2010 at 07:06 PM.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Hey Sojot, I would say go for it. Check out my recent trip to Dartmoor which I hope helps you a bit.

Dartmoor-3-Day-Solo-Expedition

If you've never done anything on Dartmoor before, be very vey careful and make sure you are proficient at map reading, although of course you can camp pretty close to the car.

Depending on your kit, you can camp there all year round, but I would suggest that May till September give you the best chance of some decent weather and, of course, longer days with which to enjoy the beautiful surroundings.

Oh, and if you're looking for company, I'm always up for a couple of days walking on the moor.

Martin
    Last edited by Martin; 29-12-2010 at 07:36 PM.
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

I would recommend you get a good quality sleeping bag like the Brit army Arctic bag, you can pick them up for about thirty quid on Ebay, they are a bit bulky and heavy but they are worth every ounce, also the gortex bivvy bag, I would not recommend the orange survival type bags, I have had personal experience of these and the only thing they are good for are signalling people if you are in trouble, Lure's and I were on a course in Scotland last year and there was a reporter who was there as well. She didn't follow the kit list and brought one of these type of bags instead of the gortex type, she had a very cold night as when you are in one of these things you sweat, long story short, she had put every piece of clothing she had with her on and was still cold because she started to sweat more inside her orange survival bag, I'm not slagging her of she had no experience but she did have a very rough night because she had the wrong kit. I am sure you would need a good nights sleep to get to your destination the next day, It's not like here were if you get lost anywhere in Ireland just shut your eye's spin round three times and start walking you are bound to come across a pub within about a mile. No matter what you do mate stay safe and enjoy it.
    Learn a little, Enjoy a lot.

http://buzzardbushcraft.blogspot.com/