Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What do you cook in your (zebra) billy can?

What do you cook in your (zebra) billy can?

I purchased a 12cm Zebra billy can a couple of months ago, and so far it sits un-used on a shelf in my shed. One thing is that the handle makes it very inpractical to pack in the pouches and bags that I use (space waster de-luxe). Another is that I can't really think of anything to cook in it really.

The handle problem can be fixed by chopping it off and installing a wire bail. The cooking problem is worse. I am not really a big fan of soups. when I do eat them it's mostly instant, so only need to boil water, and my tea kettle is much better at that, and safer to pour from. I could always make a stew, but if only for myself, it's easier to use my quite deep little frying pan. So help me out here. Why should I bring the billy? What to cook in it...(recepees would be nice)

Rune
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I use mine for boiling larger amounts of water if there are more people in my group, scrambled eggs are easy done in them too.

Really you can do anything in them, but mine only comes out when I want to cook for me and the kids together as the capacity is too much for one person. They take up a lot of space too, so if its just me I take a small pan and leave the billy at home.

Nope, I don't cook in my zebra either.
    I mainly use it as a kettle for boiling water. That said, I have done soups and packet noodles in it. But if you want something more 'solid' then a pan is your best bet. Although in these warmer months I don't tend to need a hot meal, so just as likely to have a sandwich or bowl of salad with me. But if I want to cook a decent meal it will be either be a frying pan or a pot, depending on what I'm making.
    I don't think the zebra is dead space though, since I can fit all my brew kit and mess kit inside it.

Yes, those solid bail arms are annoying. If only they made them slightly bigger then there would be enough space for it to hang on a pot-hanger, and also could wrap beneath the pot rather than jut out to the side. Changing it for a bike cable bail is the first thing to do with a zebra.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Does not look good for the future of my zebra this :-)

When I am alone it's to big, and when the familly comes it's too small for the 5 of us. Well, well, now and then I do go out with a mate, so perhaps then...but then my mate usually bring his own gear.

So perhaps recepees will save it from collecting dust. Anyone have any?
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Try making a bannock pie in it, with wild fruit in the bottom, and sweet bannockmix round the sides and top.

Hope that helps,

Joel
    Check out my leatherwork: http://snowleopardleathergoods.jimdo.com
    Thanks,

Joel

soups, stews, noodles and bannock have all been made in my Zebra
    [

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    I purchased a 12cm Zebra billy can a couple of months ago, and so far it sits un-used on a shelf in my shed. One thing is that the handle makes it very inpractical to pack in the pouches and bags that I use (space waster de-luxe). Another is that I can't really think of anything to cook in it really.

The handle problem can be fixed by chopping it off and installing a wire bail. The cooking problem is worse. I am not really a big fan of soups. when I do eat them it's mostly instant, so only need to boil water, and my tea kettle is much better at that, and safer to pour from. I could always make a stew, but if only for myself, it's easier to use my quite deep little frying pan. So help me out here. Why should I bring the billy? What to cook in it...(recepees would be nice)

Rune

Sell it and get a MSR Stowaway instead, much better then the billies and the locking handle doubles it up as a frying pan handle. The 750ml is a good solo size.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    soups, stews, noodles and bannock have all been made in my Zebra
    fried up bacon, chorizo, boiled rice, nettles, sorrel.......
    [

Quote Originally Posted by ADz_1983 View Post
    Sell it and get a MSR Stowaway instead, much better then the billies and the locking handle doubles it up as a frying pan handle. The 750ml is a good solo size.
    how do you suspend it over a fire ?
    [

I have one of the MSR's too, they are very well made.

I normally build a fire with two logs in a "V" so the pan sits straight on the fire or put it on my grilliput.