Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a Question and Idea

Hobo
    wow sounds awesome treefrog, i have never heard of a trappers license before

Saxon i have just been reading that it was pretty cool, scary to think it still happends in this day and age. i live close to St helens but finding a good forest spot without people comming by is hard these days . i am gonna try and get started local so i can pratice, hopfully build a small shelter and hopefully no one burns it down

That story about the German sailor is tragically fascinating. Reminds me of the Michael Rockefeller mystery; I'm still waiting for him to
    walk out of the jungle after 50 years.

To bring it into perspective, what happens when you contract a life-threatening illness? Is it ok to sneak back into civilisation expecting free medical assistance?

Banned
    One way is to think of onboard boat living. Cruise to where you want and can, drop anchor and enjoy the life until officialdom finds you then move on. To possess a portable skill to exchange for cash to live is an asset of course although technology allows home working in very remote spots. You would lose the intimacy of getting to know one area of woodland intimately over years though.

The closest thing I could think of is a plot of land in the highlands of Scotland ...try for a plot out of sight of a road ...put in a septic tank buy a small wind turbine ,an old static caravan....make a gas bottle wood burning stove add a water tank for hot water....plant your own veggies.....scavenge for wood....go fishing....it will cost you ....but its a goal...if you could get a plot on the coast...there may be planning issues but I see others doing it and they have lived here for years.
    oh well try again

Wanderer
    Try and find “Ice pilots” on YouTube, it’s about Alaska, If’n I remember rightly in one programme they visit a chap whose lived “in country” for 50 years, only leaving twice a year or so. As remote as you like with hunting and shooting fishing and no neighbours for 200 miles, but even then he has access to modern amenities, such as Ice pilots, and hospitals.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    One way is to think of onboard boat living. Cruise to where you want and can, drop anchor and enjoy the life until officialdom finds you then move on. To possess a portable skill to exchange for cash to live is an asset of course although technology allows home working in very remote spots. You would lose the intimacy of getting to know one area of woodland intimately over years though.
    Ha! Close..I've been wandering, living aboard for 16 years now, since my wife died. Caribbean and Mediterrean and round our own coast. I'm retired on a service pension so life is not luxurious but I'm free. I have a piece of isolated woodland where I spend a lot of time when I return from a voyage, so I am content not to own much in the way of belongings but I have what I need. That's one good thing about living on a 32 foot sea going yacht, you can't fill it up with junk..

Quote Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
    Try and find “Ice pilots” on YouTube, it’s about Alaska, If’n I remember rightly in one programme they visit a chap whose lived “in country” for 50 years, only leaving twice a year or so. As remote as you like with hunting and shooting fishing and no neighbours for 200 miles, but even then he has access to modern amenities, such as Ice pilots, and hospitals.

Currently being shown on the Discovery Channel (sky and cable TV)

I saw recently a link to a site in the US that the US government is considering making it illegal to live 'off grid'. They prefer to keep an eye on us you know.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    To bring it into perspective, what happens when you contract a life-threatening illness? Is it ok to sneak back into civilisation expecting free medical assistance?
    Why not ? Many if not all of us have contributed to the NHS whilst living 'on grid'.
    Then again some of us may even have the necessary skills, equipment and wherewithall to deal with 'some' of those life threats.
    [

Banned
    The dream Saxon, can't wait to read the book please.