Thread: Paper Fortune Teller Cooker

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."

Paper Fortune Teller Cooker

hello,
    I was making these as a kid at school & recently my friends daughter Alice (Chinese) was showing shūshu (Uncle) David Origami paper folding. I was playing around with the paper fortune teller & turned it upside down (brainwave) I went into the kitchen & unrolled a A4 size of tin foil (the good strong stuff) & set about making such from the foil I had at hand. Later (with no children present) I turned the completed foil fortune teller upside down in the sink & squirted a little alcohol jelly into each section & ignited. I filled half way my Teflon mug with water before ignition as to test weight bearing & placed it upon such, it actually took the weight & soon after boiled the cup of water. I'm sure with a stronger gauge of tin foil maybe a small pot could be placed upon such? I've not tried it with liquid alcohol fuel yet, doesn't leak so far as I filled each section with a little water, it will work with hexamine. I was thinking about this as I was taught & later as an instructor carrying a square of tin foil in your survival tin folded flat multi purpose use takes up very little space. This foil fortune teller before opening measures two squares across & can be folded flat before opening out will fit inside a baccy tin as a foil fortune teller. Upturned it looks kind of like a little 4 section egg container. Ok it's Heath Robinson but it does work.. word of advice use it outdoors incase of toppling or spillage only at MkI stage .
    Regards
    David

You Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccrwvGYIqyg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paper Fortune Teller.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	12278
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 18-06-2014 at 09:37 PM.

Fantastic! I'll have a go at that. I remember doing those in school too!

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    Feeling my age now.....thanks

One with Nature
    hello,
    Tell me about it Alan. I'm looking for a stronger catering type foil that can be folded like so, as the foil I was using does work but I'm sure a stronger foil would support a billy can. Alternatively the billy can or cup can be suspended over the foil container. These can be made larger but I was working on the principle of a small piece of A4 tin foil folded which was included within your survival kit as taught years ago.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello,
    I'm looking for a stronger catering type foil that can be folded like so, as the foil I was using does work but I'm sure a stronger foil would support a billy can...
    Regards
    David
    Can I suggest either the base from a large foil meat dish or meat tray ...

( just a few pounds from virtually any Supermarket , usually for two !! )

or try Poundland ... a foil Serving dish may be suitable ...

I have made quite robust wind screens from afore mentioned material ...

still going after a few years now !!!

Cheers Whistle
    Life's a beach .... and then the tide comes in ....

One with Nature
    hello,
    Thanks for that advice Whistle appreciated. I've been thinking along them lines too, it was the use of the tin foil sheet from the survival training/instruction compact foil folded into the survival tin for now. I'll give the heavy duty tray a go as well as I have utilised such as a windshield too. My friends work/own a take away & another in a kitchen, I'm going to ask them for such, as I blagged a few catering size baked bean cans before for use a billycans *recycling T.Y again.
    Regards
    David

Neat idea! The things that can spark an idea can and do literally come from anywhere !
    Winter is coming