Thread: Yule traditions

Yule traditions

Her in Norway everything Yule celebration is today. So we slept in. Had a nice breakfast in front of the TV while watching "Three Gifts for Cinderella", a Czechoslovak/East German fairy-tale film from 1973 that has been dubbed to Norwegian with a single actor doing all the voices. We never dub TV here, but keep the original sound with texting, but for some reason, this is an exception, and anyone who dares to change it will probably be executed in front of the Royal Castle!

Just made dinner ready and put it on the stove to steam for 3-4 hours. It consist of around 3 kg of cured, salted and smoked lamb ribs. They are so salty that we have to leave them in water for 24 hours, but mostly that is to reintroduce moisture into the meat. It will be served with a token ammount of potatoes,a nd a healthy ammount of mashed "swede (Rutabaga, turnip or whatever you call it). When we have stuffed ourselves with that, we probably won't be able to get any dessert down our necks, so that will get potponed until late evening.
    Meanwhile we tear into our presents as those are traditionally opened in the evning of the 24th her in Norway.

Else the day just consist of rotting in front of the TV, PC or android pods, whatever the kids fancy...

Oh yeah, our two Thai kids who grew partially up in their home lands have never taken to the stick meat, as the above mentioned dish is called, so they will be having duck. Luckilly the elder is in training to be a chef, so he's fixing that himself :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Excellent .
    We also slept-in, went out for a nice breakfast, and we have a fine dinner in the works. I had planned on baking some homemade Yule cookies, but I'm still recovering from a rather nasty cold. It will be another warm, wet December, unfortunately. Oh well....can't ask for everything lol :P
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

My daughter is at her boyfriends in Norway for Christmas. She's loving it although she found it a bit strange opening her presents a day early.
    You have a beautiful country, she was there in the summer and took some stunning photos. We hope to go there at some point with our other two kids for a holiday.

Happy New Year Rune. I look forward to your interesting and amusing posts in 2017.
    “If the apple won't fall - go shake the tree.”
    ― Isaac Newton

Quote Originally Posted by ichneumon View Post
    happy new year rune. I look forward to your interesting and amusing posts in 2017.
    t^ +1 :d
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

+2!

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    +3 👍👍

Happy new year to all here @Natural Bushcraft!

May it be a successful year for all of you!!!
    👍👍
    Last edited by Woody; 03-01-2017 at 01:56 AM.