Thread: Mora garberg initial thoughts

Mora garberg initial thoughts

Well after much thought i finally pulled the trigger.
    I found it difficult to find any rational views on the new full tang mora,most have just been price complaints.
    I believe they simply screwed up marketing this knife,one of the reasons is having a polarising charactar attached to this knife,which i deem strange as a full tang mora would have sold itself. Instead it ended up in carbon vs stainless,and price arguments, which i find infuriating as i was looking for rational,impartial product testing.

Anyway moving along, out of the box i find it strangly impressive.
    The handle is extremly comfy in any grip i use,and being a fan of a nice chunk of curly birch i find hard to admit.
    The blade length is spot on for my needs and the grind is even.
    So far it has done the usual fire prep,food prep and light battoning and feels great.
    All in all i cant wait to use this more over the coming months as its an extremy well thought out knive.

I keep seeing people compare this to a fallkniven f1,i can see why but i do not agree with the comparison.
    Ironically I do feel if the garberg was made by fallkniven it would have been better recieved.

I must be slipping as I have completely missed this one.
    I think the price comes from the more elaborate sheath as much as the improved knife. On other Moras the sheath is more like an after thought...
    "oh, this think is sharp, we better provide something to put the blade in, for health and safety reasons..."
    The sheath for this one appears to actually be usefull.

Else if you cant afford this one, there is always the Mora robust, or my recomendation if you want a very, very good whitling knife...the 711, which has the most comfy grip in the world, and cost 4£ and be picked up in any supermarket or gas station here in Norway.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    I got it when it was reduced to less than half price on Heinnies, as a matter of fact nearly all UK stockists had it significantly reduced lately, I wonder why!!! Anyway upon receiving it and taking it from the box I looked at it, weighed it in hand and thought "all this is is a beefy Mora", it's not a £100 plus knife and if I'd have paid the full price I would not have been happy, at the reduced price it was just about worth it. All this polava for an extra lump of steel hidden under the handle! I have used it for bits and pieces so far and it's ok, nothing special and certainly nothing that the companion or robust couldn't do just as well. Why do certain people believe in the myth that a knife HAS to be full tang to be reliable? sooner or later they will realise that the idea that a knife has to be a full tang is pure myth just like the one where people believed that stainless steel couldn't be used as a ferro rod striker (remember that one?), anyway, it's ok, it's nice in hand, grind is a little obtuse but usable, it will do what I ask of it just as any other Mora will, is it worth the Full RRP, absolutely NO WAY, is it worth half that price, yeah I suppose but I have no doubt I'll end up going back to my Mora 510 as I always do.

Quote Originally Posted by luresalive View Post
    I got it when it was reduced to less than half price on Heinnies, as a matter of fact nearly all UK stockists had it significantly reduced lately, I wonder why!!! Anyway upon receiving it and taking it from the box I looked at it, weighed it in hand and thought "all this is is a beefy Mora", it's not a £100 plus knife and if I'd have paid the full price I would not have been happy, at the reduced price it was just about worth it. All this polava for an extra lump of steel hidden under the handle! I have used it for bits and pieces so far and it's ok, nothing special and certainly nothing that the companion or robust couldn't do just as well. Why do certain people believe in the myth that a knife HAS to be full tang to be reliable? sooner or later they will realise that the idea that a knife has to be a full tang is pure myth just like the one where people believed that stainless steel couldn't be used as a ferro rod striker (remember that one?), anyway, it's ok, it's nice in hand, grind is a little obtuse but usable, it will do what I ask of it just as any other Mora will, is it worth the Full RRP, absolutely NO WAY, is it worth half that price, yeah I suppose but I have no doubt I'll end up going back to my Mora 510 as I always do.
    Amen!

The two full tang blades I have are the ones that are the least usefull in my knife collection. One thing I have discovered about the so called bush-craft knives, appart from them usually being sollid, good quallity knives...is that the blade is too thick. The perfect thickness of the blade in that size knife for me is found in the classical mora blades, like the 511 and 711, companion etc. And they are more than strong enough for wthat I use that size knife for. If I need something studrider, I just bring a larger knife (with a 711 in the backpack that will actually be used, as even then, the 711 sized knife is more versatile for 99% of the knife tasks.
    So knives like the Mora Robust, or this one is not likely to see any use.

ANyway, I can get a Helle knife for the prize of that Mora....
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 29-11-2016 at 02:58 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    ... One thing I have discovered about the so called bush-craft knives, apart from them usually being solid, good quality knives...is that the blade is too thick...
    I know what you mean! This was my first and only home made knife. It is a BEAST of a blade; far too thick for most things but it's great for splitting wood.

We live and learn - next time (if there is one) I'll make it much thinner. I only did a "full tang" knife because it was easier for me. In the mean time I enjoy my Mora 840MG for when I'm not working out (anyone who's held this knife will testify to its excessive weight).
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. - Chinese Proverb