Thread: Seasoning a new Dutch Oven.

Seasoning a new Dutch Oven.

Hi guys,

Picked up a new cast iron dutch oven off ebay and am looking to get it seasoned this week, just wanted to run my plan past you guys to see if im on the right lines as iv not done it before.

I am going to be using a camp fire rather than an oven as i dont want to smoke my house out.

Am i right in thinking i let the fire burn down to coal, coat the oven with some kind of oil (i was going to use cheap veg oil) and place in the fire, take out of the fire and allow to cool before repeating the process about 5 more times?

My main question is; how long do i leave it on the fire for? and is oil better than using lard? id rather use lard but iv heard it can go rank if the pot isnt in fairly regular use?

Cheers guys

Shepherd

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
    Hi guys,

Picked up a new cast iron dutch oven off ebay and am looking to get it seasoned this week, just wanted to run my plan past you guys to see if im on the right lines as iv not done it before.

I am going to be using a camp fire rather than an oven as i dont want to smoke my house out.

Am i right in thinking i let the fire burn down to coal, coat the oven with some kind of oil (i was going to use cheap veg oil) and place in the fire, take out of the fire and allow to cool before repeating the process about 5 more times?

My main question is; how long do i leave it on the fire for? and is oil better than using lard? id rather use lard but iv heard it can go rank if the pot isnt in fairly regular use?

Cheers guys

Shepherd
    http://www.potjiekosworld.com/genera...ur-potjie-pot/
    From the land of Potjies & Dutch ovens etc.
    Read the above link, it's all you have to do period!
    Believe me thousands of cooking fires are happening every week end in South Africa, especially during Rugby Season (Best when we are winning!)
    The instructions are simple and correct, to preserve the pot use vegetable oil, if you leave it for some time the oil goes sticky and is easilly removed come time to cook!
    You may cook with lard by all means (Tasty) but preserve with oil!

I got stuck with one of these after last Yule, as I have one to my folks, but it was to heavy for them to bring in their R.V, so they traded a fishing rod for it, and I got it back. Been sitting in the shed ever since.
    But one of my wishes for Yule this year is a fire bowl for the back yard, and I allready have a sturdy tri pod. So maybe then I t will be used :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

thanks guys!

The result of using dutch oven in cooking is really tasty. The taste absolutely matters. Cooking time may also depends in your menu.

Love my 7 ltr dutch oven butit is heavy. So it only comes out with me when I camp on islands and can chuck it into the canoe.
    All I ever did with mine is rubbing olive oil inside out. Works for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisAnderson View Post
    The result of using dutch oven in cooking is really tasty. The taste absolutely matters. Cooking time may also depends in your menu.
    We cooked a leg of lamb in it once while on Ullswater. Couple of bottles of wine into it and veg as well as chorizo chunks. Best stew I ever made!! Been trying to recreate it since !