Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Alone in the Wilderness

Hello

Hello, NIPrepper here. I've been doing bushcraft for about a year now properly and have been doing videos on YouTube. I'm originally from Northern Ireland but I've recently moved over to Kent. I'm wanting to get back into bushcraft and do my videos but I'm a bit lost on areas to go in Kent. I'm living in the Thanet area. I know there are areas near me but it is a bit daunting since I have absolutely no contacts here!

Thanks,

NIPrepper

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Hello and welcome aboard !

Hello + Welcome

Hello and welcome to the forum. Can't help you with places in Kent, not my neck of the woods. But I believe there is a group that meets up in the south east.

Hello and welcome,

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello NIPrepper,
    to the NBCUK forum. Thanet district of Kent your in the right place for beach combing the coastline for flint & iron pyrites. Proper dried driftwood makes excellent firebow drill sets too..
    Regards
    David
    West Central Scotland

Hi NIPrepper.

Check out Badgells Wood (http://badgellswoodcamping.co.uk/) - this may too far for you to travel. It might be worth a Facebook search too (that's how I found a great site near me).

Cheers,

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Alone in the Wilderness
    Many thanks for all the replies folks. I've checked out Badgells Wood. I'm not sure it'll be open but I've sent a message asking if they would be open to letting there be a out-of-season camp. Who knows? You don't ask, you don't get.

I had a walk the other day in King's Wood near Ashford but I'm somewhat unsure about camping there due to the wholly different attitude to wild camping in England. In Ireland its very much tolerated.

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Quote Originally Posted by NIPrepper View Post
    Many thanks for all the replies folks. I've checked out Badgells Wood. I'm not sure it'll be open but I've sent a message asking if they would be open to letting there be a out-of-season camp. Who knows? You don't ask, you don't get.

I had a walk the other day in King's Wood near Ashford but I'm somewhat unsure about camping there due to the wholly different attitude to wild camping in England. In Ireland its very much tolerated.
    Indeed , the restrictions on wild camping in England are a bit annoying, but we've all seen what state some people leave their "camps" and/or picnic sites , so it's not surprising.

For us lot, a "leave no trace" philosophy and consideration , when asking friends and acquaintances , tends to yield good results , as most of us know one or two "friendly" farmers or land owners.

There is also a thread somewhere , from a member of this forum that set up a "community" for the people that like camping out but have no contacts for permission.
    I think it was called "nearly wild camping"...
    I'll try and dig it out

Edit:
    here it is.

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...d.php?p=135775

http://www.nearlywildcamping.org/?do...87322998046875

Can't vouch for this movement as I haven't partaken yet, but sounds great...
    Last edited by Woody; 31-10-2016 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Link posted

Alone in the Wilderness
    Thanks Woody. I've had a look at their site and it would be very useful. My only worry is that if there isn't a site in my local area (by which I mean as far as Sussex). You have to pay £20 to access the directory. I probably will cough it up but I wonder if anyone out there has any experience with them.