Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A change in shooting

A change in shooting

Any of you who know me will know I'm a very keen shot, I've shot most everything, shotguns from 9mm garden guns to punt guns, and rifles from .17hmr to a 20mm Lahti and most everything in between and would consider myself rather knowledgeable about things that go bang. But recently I've been taking an interest in things that go twang! So I'm looking for a bit of advice from any of our resident archers. I've fired high end compound bows and my fair share of crossbows but never fired or rather shot a regular, simple bow (recurve, flat, horsebow etc) so I have decided to buy one (with a view to make one out of a large number of thin strips of ash I have) but don't know where to start! I've no interest in taking it overseas to hunt, it would be compound all the way for that, so I don't need anything high draw weight, and would be looking for a starter bow in complexity. I figure its like learning to shoot a rifle, start basic with iron sights then move onto more complicated gear, but I may be wrong! Price range not really a huge limitation but ideally nothing that will result in me having to find a new Mrs and place to live! Does anyone have any good starting points in bows? Arrows? Literature? In sure we have some archers here!

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Hi Mick!
    Good choice ...

Here's a good place to start.
    https://www.archerylibrary.com/

The Samick "sage" is a good take down recurve bow to start on.
    Just make sure you get the size, draw length and poundage right for you.
    I'll try and dig out the foolproof method to calculate this...

Bear with me

Found it!

http://www.learn-archery.com/proper-draw-length.html
    Last edited by Woody; 12-10-2016 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Hi Mick!
    Good choice ...

Here's a good place to start.
    https://www.archerylibrary.com/

The Samick "sage" is a good take down recurve bow to start on.
    Just make sure you get the size, draw length and poundage right for you.
    I'll try and dig out the foolproof method to calculate this...

Bear with me

Found it!

http://www.learn-archery.com/proper-draw-length.html
    Cheers woody that looks a nice bit of kit and surprisingly cheap too! As for draw weight I have no idea. I'm a big lad and about 6'2 so I would assume at the higher end of draw but as I said know nothing about them

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Had a quick crack at carving a simple one today.
    But didn't get far until it broke!

Never mind though been an enjoyable afternoon!

Excuse my extremely messy work bench too!

Nice first effort, and you have a man cave, it's meant to look 'used' isn't it ?

Quote Originally Posted by bopdude View Post
    Nice first effort, and you have a man cave, it's meant to look 'used' isn't it ?
    I do prefer the lived in look Al

Well if it ain't lived in it's no use to man nor beast I need to sort some space somewhere for my toboggan project, but that's a different thread

Quote Originally Posted by bopdude View Post
    Well if it ain't lived in it's no use to man nor beast I need to sort some space somewhere for my toboggan project, but that's a different thread
    Interested to see it! Nice working with wood again after so much metal, but i'll never make a boweyer it would seem!

Do a basic Archery course. I did mine, a couple of years ago. Well worth it.
    It is addictive.
    He who says "he can" and he who says "he can't", are both usually right.