Thread: Straightening Mangled Cords

Straightening Mangled Cords

I got some plastic cord (which I assume is polypropylene) that has been badly stored that when unravelled it tries to bend back to its mangled state.

I want to practise knots but it's really twisted and I don't know how to straighten it.

Are there any tips you'd recommend? Or should I just buy a new one?

Another question: How do you tell one kind of rope from another, and which kind do you think is the best for practising or for the outdoors?

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello Nukeyfox,
    Polypropylene plastic cord I may suggest soaking the cord in warm water for a short time, then try to straighten it to it's length & then allow it to dry naturally. If this works & the length of cord is tangle free, I would further suggest for storage until your ready to use such, google to find a link that contains along the lines (pardon the pun) "No Tangle Rope Storage" so the next time on being successful unravelling your length of cord this should be tangle free. Let us know how you get on. I may suggest paracord is the best for practicing knots & lashings or if none at hand any natural fibre cord that is available where you live.
    Regards
    David
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 07-09-2016 at 09:31 AM.

Good tip on soaking it David. That's new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello Nukeyfox,
    Polypropylene plastic cord I may suggest soaking the cord in warm water for a short time, then try to straighten it to it's length & then allow it to dry naturally. If this works & the length of cord is tangle free, I would further suggest for storage until your ready to use such, google to find a link that contains along the lines (pardon the pun) "No Tangle Rope Storage" so the next time on being successful unravelling your length of cord this should be tangle free. Let us know how you get on. I may suggest paracord is the best for practicing knots & lashings or if none at hand any natural fibre cord that is available where you live.
    Regards
    David
    It worked like a charm. Thanks!
    It's a bit curly but a lot better than it was before.

One with Nature
    hello Nukeyfox,
    As said google or YouTube search for suggestions to store cord or lines after you complete the task of unravelling the kinks in the length of rope or cord. A slight curl in the line is far better than a birds nest, knots or entangled cord. Just a suggestion you could repeat the process & see if that improves the initial outcome? As long as there's no actual damage wear, tear or weakness in the rope or cord it should be fine for practicing your knot tying.
    Regards
    David

Pop into wilkinsons, B&M etc and pick up some string/garden twine.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Use whatever cordage you have for practising, as that's what you'll be using for real. Different materials/ constructions behave differently and work with different knots. So if you can play with different types of rope then all the better. As Rik said, garden twine or string is useful. It's strong and cheap and will take most knots well. Your polypropylene rope will be useful for a lot of stuff. Just be aware of the strength if it's old and badly stored.

Ah, after a week, it has gone back to its meandering state. I think I should just go ahead and buy some new cords.

One with Nature
    hello,
    If that's the case invest in some new cord.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeyfox View Post
    Ah, after a week, it has gone back to its meandering state. I think I should just go ahead and buy some new cords.