Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woolly thinking

Woolly thinking

I was digging around in the back of the wardrobe and came across a pashmina scarf / shawl I bought for Mrs H when we were on holiday in Egypt a few years ago.

As I had no idea what pashmina is, I looked it up on the internet. That lead to researching cashmere, alpaca and various other wools.

I then got curious about why the fashion industry leans towards cashmere / alpaca more than merino but bushcrafters primarily get itchy merino. If alpaca wool is lighter and much warmer (but more fragile) then why isn't there a range of base or mid-layer garments aimed at bushcrafters? I know it is expensive stuff but some of the merino wool garments availale are not on the cheap side anyway.

Can someoen shed some light ont his please? Or does anyone wear alpaca gear already?

Where's the sheep icon?
    Mark 8:36

You can get hiking socks here http://perilla.co.uk/collections/men...climbing-socks They are no more expensive than a lot of well known hiking socks.
    The company that makes them imports a couple of tonnes of alpaca wool a year.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

I use the Smartwool merino mid weight base layer and love them. No itchy feeling, just cosy warmth

Trapper
    I use nylon. It's warm and I don't overnight anywhere in winter.
    The differences between synthetics and wool are not so big in daily use and the warm/wet thing is exaggerated http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2012...-clothing.html This guy has some real experimental science.

I use wool sock and merino bases - I spend an inordinate amount of time out at night in bad weather - and on this weekends trip i evaluated a 60/40 synthetic/wool vs 100% wool blanket - noticably warmer.

Also wool is fire retardent, nylon is horrible when it burns
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Also wool is fire retardent, nylon is horrible when it burns
    Yeah, it 'freakin melts onto your skin...
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

When I go out this time of year, you won't find anything but wool socks on my feet and hands. My mittens are felted wool. And if its windy or snowy some wind gloves over that. Cant get a warmer system. The army tried for years to find a better system, and never succeeded.

Also get a pair my mom knitted for me and felted. They are extremely warm. We call them "sjyvotter" = sea mittens. The old fishermen used them and and they dipped them in sea water, then beat them dry and stuck their hands in to warm themselves. And that is what makes wool so fantastic. it still keeps you warm while wet.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I have a pair of dachstein wool mittens that go into my SAR pack at the first sign of winter
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    I have a pair of dachstein wool mittens that go into my SAR pack at the first sign of winter
    At first glance I thought that read "dachshund" - well harsh, poor Daisy! On second read I was much relieved.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Daisy.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	6973

Get som very over sized ones, throw them in the washing machine at 60 degrees celcius and fill it with denim trousers, and they will be felted and een warmer. That is provided they are knitted from 100% wool and not super wash grade, but traditional wool. I also have a felted hat that is simply too warm to use!
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum