Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beginners Bushcraft challenge check list

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pootle View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I think sure how a list is a good idea. But I'd have thought of some of it as beyond beginners stuff. Or maybe I'm just not very ambitious!
    ��Or I'm too ambitious. One of my first posts on here was making a birch bark knife sheath. I still use it. It was my first attempt at birch craft.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

So Day three of getting back into the swing of things.

Off the check list so far -

I can still use a ferrocium rod . I Have lit a fire with Birch bark and also from just a feather stick with some real fine curls at the end.
    Found some very nice slightly rotten Lime branches - Made some lime cordage as the bark had pretty much retted itself on the tree.
    I've collected some Birch for making a new bow drill set, so will give that a go in the next few days. Pretty sure my technique will stink now.
    Also picked up some nice bits of birch for whittling. so spoons and butter knives are on the hit list.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilkinson View Post
    Found some very nice slightly rotten Lime branches - Made some lime cordage as the bark had pretty much retted itself on the tree.
    That's a cool tip. I didn't realise that it could come pre prepared like that. I'll keep a look out under the limes near me from now on.

Nice to see you brushing up, on the skills.
    You need to add, one more "to do" to your list.
    #16 Get to a meet
    He who says "he can" and he who says "he can't", are both usually right.

So using the cordage made from the lime I had a go at an all natural bow drill set. Got one ember before the cord snapped. Think I might have made the cordage to tight and it had no stretch in it at all. Also forgot to tie it with an Egyptian wrap which would have allowed for the lack of slack in the cord. Will get it right next time though. On the plus side managed an ember or two with a paracord bow.

I'm enjoying this thread, however, I'd suggest the following knots are useful if you don't know them:

Siberian Hitch
    Haulier's Hitch
    Faramond
    Marlin Spike

I do enjoy learning knots for the sake of it but the four above are the usual ones I use when in the woods.
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Good list that, very good in fact. Reciept hiding should be on there though in my experience! Are you far through the list yet? If you want anything for the primitive knife making give me a shout ive got any amount of offcuts and bits laying about
    Last edited by mick91; 13-09-2016 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    I'm enjoying this thread, however, I'd suggest the following knots are useful if you don't know them:

Siberian Hitch
    Haulier's Hitch
    Faramond
    Marlin Spike

I do enjoy learning knots for the sake of it but the four above are the usual ones I use when in the woods.
    On the knots front for beginners I'd also include:-

taut tarp hitch
    slipped taut line hitch (a rolling hitch tied to the taut end of a cord after passing it around an object - great for tensioning guy lines!)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilkinson View Post
    So using the cordage made from the lime I had a go at an all natural bow drill set. Got one ember before the cord snapped. Think I might have made the cordage to tight and it had no stretch in it at all. Also forgot to tie it with an Egyptian wrap which would have allowed for the lack of slack in the cord. Will get it right next time though. On the plus side managed an ember or two with a paracord bow.
    Quick piccie of the bow drill before I killed the cordage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160912_182851_resized_1.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	13797

Quote Originally Posted by mick91 View Post
    Good list that, very good in fact. Reciept hiding should be on there though in my experience! Are you far through the list yet? If you want anything for the primitive knife making give me a shout ive got any amount of offcuts and bits laying about
    Thanks Mick. I've checked off a fair few - seems somethings you don't forget.

I was thinking more of a hoku or flint knapped knife