Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beginners Bushcraft challenge check list

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar

Beginners Bushcraft challenge check list

In returning to being 'crafty' after a couple of years off, I'd thought I would set myself a little checklist to make sure I can still remember everything. Then realized that with a few additions of some basic skills this would make a good little check list for a beginners challenge to help learn some woodcraft and bushcraft skills. So without further a due:-

1.) Pitch a Tarp
    a.) between trees
    b.) using poles
    c.) as a lean too.
    d.) try more advanced Tarpology (see ashleys article on the website)

2.) Sleep under a tarp or in a Bivi

3.) Sling a Hammock - try different methods and knots.

4.) Light a fire
    a.) using a lighter
    b.) using matches
    c.) using one match
    d.) Using a ferrocium Rod
    e.) Using a flint and Steel
    f.) Using a Bow drill
    g.) Using a fire piston
    h.) Using hand drill methods
    I.) only using natural tinders

5.) Use a Saw\Axe to process wood

6.) make your own Cordage - nettles, lime, willow, spruce root

7.) Build a Shelter
    a.) Debris
    b.) Pole
    c.) Other - Snow cave\turf hut etc...

8.) Cook on a campfire
    a.) Bake bannock
    b.) fry on a stone
    c.) use a dutch oven

9.) Build camp furniture
    a.) make a tripod
    b.) build a table
    c.) A-frame chairs, etc...

10.) Whittle a spoon

11.) Whittle a Kuksa

12.) Make a primitive knife

13.) Forage for food

14.) Make a Paracord Bracelet\Lanyard\Key chain\ Item

15.) Make a net for use as a bag\fishing\hammock

I will probably think of a few more, whilst I get back into the swing of things. I'll post them here when I do.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Excellent idea. It'll give me an excuse to do something. Maybe set myself a time limit for each (one a week, at least?).

I like this, thank you.
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. - Chinese Proverb

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Nice list... Makes me realise how much of a novice I really am.
    3, 6 , and 14 and 15 never even tried!
    Cool post, useful for us to start ticking these off and come back again to it...

I would only add

- plant and tree I.D.

-knots .

-hunting and /or tracking

-Traps and snares as well as preparing and butchering various prey (from squirrel to deer).

Thank you for putting this together, nice challenge...
    👍

Regards
    Last edited by Woody; 06-09-2016 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Keyboard has got tourette's syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Nice list... Makes me realise how much of a novice I really am.
    3, 6 , and 14 and 15 never even tried!
    Cool post, useful for us to start ticking these off and come back again to it...

I would only add

- plant and tree I.D.

-knots .

-hunting and /or tracking

-Traps and snares as well as preparing and butchering various prey (from squirrel to deer).

Thank you for putting this together, nice challenge...

Regards
    I was going to add the Plant Id under foraging. I don't like just adding knots as a subject. You can go and learn all sorts of knots but never need to use half of them. I've found the best way to learn them comes from their use in pitching a Tarp and Hammock or making a net, etc... So they are kind of in there as a by product.
    As for Hunting and tracking - I would rather put:-

Making a survival bow\Sling
    a) with man made cord
    b) with natural cordage

Field prep a Rabbit\Squirrel\Pheasant
    a) with a knife
    b) without a knife!
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Excellent idea. It'll give me an excuse to do something. Maybe set myself a time limit for each (one a week, at least?).

I like this, thank you.
    That's what I intend to do, one every one or two weeks with the kids and get good at it. I've got a few new shelter builds I want to try that date back to the 1850's and the first pioneers.

Don't over complicate it for a beginner or you can easily put them off. Stick to real basics, take a tent, take fire lighters etc and build up over time and trips. If I was new and saw 'build tables and chairs' etc I'd think sod that I ain't going.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    Don't over complicate it for a beginner or you can easily put them off. Stick to real basics, take a tent, take fire lighters etc and build up over time and trips. If I was new and saw 'build tables and chairs' etc I'd think sod that I ain't going.
    Agreed. This is a good checklist of skills but pretty daunting for a beginner!

that said, I reckon most people could aim to work their way through it in their own time with plenty of advice and YouTube videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Pootle View Post
    Agreed. This is a good checklist of skills but pretty daunting for a beginner!

that said, I reckon most people could aim to work their way through it in their own time with plenty of advice and YouTube videos.
    That is the whole point. This isn't a single challenge
    But a list of individual skills and challenges that can be referred to.

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    My previous experience of the people and folk on this forum are that they are here to learn and challenge their skills. This list is merely a set of skills to work upto and beyond and as it has already done, give people food for thought. It's taken me neigh on 10 years+ to become semi competent in half the list and there are a couple on there that I have not yet done either.

I don't think it over complicates things. The first 8 on the list I would list as the basics. However on a couple of meets the interest that those beginning on their journey have for campcraft has often been the centre of the whole meet.

Don't get me wrong, I think sure how a list is a good idea. But I'd have thought of some of it as beyond beginners stuff. Or maybe I'm just not very ambitious!