Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beginners Bushcraft challenge check list

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilkinson View Post
    On the knots front for beginners I'd also include:-

taut tarp hitch
    slipped taut line hitch (a rolling hitch tied to the taut end of a cord after passing it around an object - great for tensioning guy lines!)
    Mike - check out the Farrimond http://www.animatedknots.com/farrimond/#ScrollPoint as it works as well as the slipped taut line hitch but is a dream to undo.

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    So did some grass rope making with the kids. Made about 10' of twin reverse wrap about inch thick. Kids made a small swing out of it.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Also got a bit of debris shelter practice in over the weekend. Teaching the little ones about the structures that can be used for one and two man set ups.

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Both look like fun projects for the kids. I've never really worked on natural cordage. Might make it a priority this year.

I started by first untwining some shop bought jute and practicing some simple two strand reverse wrap cordage. I then moved into using nettles and yucca leaves. Once I got the hang of things and understanding what to look for during the process I started applying it to different materials. I like grass ropes though. It always amazes my kids that you can tow a land rover with an inch and half thick grass cable.

The best thing about bushcraft is you never stop learning, even when you think you have mastered a particular skill, it some how keeps evolving, and whilst basic techniques and principles always apply, its about adaptation, and making it work for you...
    non est vivere sed valere vita est life is more than being alive..........ALWAYS GIVE MORE THAN YOU TAKE

Ask not for a lighter load, but a stronger back.....

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilkinson View Post
    I started by first untwining some shop bought jute and practicing some simple two strand reverse wrap cordage. I then moved into using nettles and yucca leaves. Once I got the hang of things and understanding what to look for during the process I started applying it to different materials. I like grass ropes though. It always amazes my kids that you can tow a land rover with an inch and half thick grass cable.

Brilliant!
    I'm definitely interested in trying this natural cordage method.
    Could you please explain the 2 strand reverse wrap method ?
    I have no idea what that means but it sounds difficult.
    Brilliant challenge and I'll be definitely trying this out .
    Not sure I'll find yucca , but plenty of nettles and lyme trees , for its bark is apparently very good for natural cordage.

Thanks for the ideas !!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I'm hoping the below images will help. If not go to Jon ridgeons site and look at his tutorial on nettle cordage. One of the better ones I've found.

http://www.jonsbushcraft.com/cordage%20making.htm

I decided to teach the scouts how to make cordage out of nettles. Whilst they were having a fire safety talk with the fire brigade in the other room I went to burn of the stings and set off the fire alarm. Perfect timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha. I bet that went down well!