Thread: How extensive is the "all mans right" - the right to roam in Norway?

How extensive is the "all mans right" - the right to roam in Norway?

I have written before about the all mans right - the right to roam in Norway. What i boils down to is that
    in Norway everyone, including foreign tourists has the legal right of access on private property, as long as it is not cultivated land, but it also includes cultivated land in the tiome of year when the ground is frozen or covered by snow. The right to roam also include wild camping, provided you set up camp morethan 150 mters from the nearest inhabited house or cabin, and move camp every 2 days. Yo do not need any permission for this (but keeping a good relationship with landowners is of course adviced).

So how far does this go?

Well, a sign like this is actually illegal to set up. The text says:

Private property
    Cloudberry picking prohibited
    Property of the owners

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6966.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	13772

The reason it is illegal is that it breaks with the right that the public have to pick berries and nuts for their own consumption
    The only way this would be legal, is when the berries have a significant economic advantage for the owner. but then the prohibition shall only be valid for a limited area, for example one specific bog (cloudberries grow on bogs). A landowner cant prohibit picking on his entire land, a whole island, or a largeer area. And the sign must state clearly where picking is not alllowed. But even then you may legally pick berries if you eat them on the spot.

I love traditions :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

That's good info, so do a lot of land owners try it on with these signs, surely all locals know it's utter tosh and ignore them ? Can they be prosecuted for having theses illegal signs up ?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

It was in the local rag as a growing number of hikers have spotted these signs popping up more frequently lately.

Anyway, they won't be procecuted for it, but the councill may issue so called day-fines, until the sign is removed, like they do with illegal fences in the beach zone, that has been put up to keep the public
    off beach properties.

But if you come to a fence in the woods, just walk along it as there should be a gate nearby that you can use to get trough. That fence is only there to keep the sheep and cattle from wandering into the villages and making a mess in peoples gardens, not to keep people off a property....just keep of industrial estates.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Thanks for the info mate

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk