Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feather Stick Problems

Personally I have mostly abandoned the feather stick. I live in the northern coastal birch forest, so I use birch bark (the very fine outer layer) for all my fire lighting. I may carve a very coarse fire stick as part of my kindling. But what I start the fire with is the birch bark. It's much easier to get going with a ferro rod...I can even light it with old fashioned flint and steel. But when I use a ferro rod often just one or two striukes is enough to light it. I use excactly the same method when I use a lighter or matches.

Anyway I find that feather sticks often just burn out, ie the fethers burn up without lighting the rest of of the wood...actually in a wet environment which coastal Norway is, the problem is most often not to create open flame, but to keep it going until you have a reliable fire going. and even then, turn you back to your roaring fire for a minute, and you may find it has puffed out and you have tio rebuild it to get it going again.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Also lets not forget that the ancient ones did not have the luxury of time and energy to waste faffing about. They used whatever method in their experience that was the most effective only hampered by what tools was available to them. If Davy Crocket, or Eirik Bloodaxe had Bic lighters that what they would use. Not flint and steel. But it is sure fun to know that you still can use primitive methods. I I take every opportunity to use them...simply beouse it's not a matter of life or death to me, and time I certainly have.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Also lets not forget that the ancient ones did not have the luxury of time and energy to waste faffing about. They used whatever method in their experience that was the most effective only hampered by what tools was available to them. If Davy Crocket, or Eirik Bloodaxe had Bic lighters that what they would use. Not flint and steel. But it is sure fun to know that you still can use primitive methods. I I take every opportunity to use them...simply beouse it's not a matter of life or death to me, and time I certainly have.
    That's a very good point.
    It really is for enjoyment and satisfaction.
    I light mostly with flint and steel, but also enjoy practising other methods...
    I still have to try friction fire skills.

However if the family is hungry and time is at the essence, then the matches or lighter come out ...

I tried friction fire lighting a few times and it worked each time. Not wanting to risk my perfect score or trust to luck, I never tried again...always quit when your ahead

"However if the family is hungry and time is at the essence" in that case, for me, the stove comes out and sod the fire
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post

"However if the family is hungry and time is at the essence" in that case, for me, the stove comes out and sod the fire
    I tried that with my wood gas stove this summer. When the untolerable contraption had burned out/puffed out 3 times before the water in the kettle was boiling, the wife intervened and made a cooking fire...
    So I f am to do that my Optimus have to come (and even then she will roll her eyes at her daft farang husband, and slap together a fire in less tnan two seconds. But then again she is an Isaan farm girl from Nortehast Thailand, and think all my bushcraft skills are just silly...you should see her with a parang!
    (Roald Amundsen)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	optimus_tin_sign2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	13771

You must teach her
    Richard
    South Wales UK

For practical purposes, really any wood shavings will be good enough, though the finer/thinner the shavings are, the better. Personally I don't mind if the shavings fall off the stick, I collect them and sprinkle them over my kindling bundle. If the ground is wet or damp, rest the stick on something to catch the falling shavings...a large piece of birch bark works great, or you could use something as simple as a ziplock bag. That way the fallen shavings won't be "wasted".

I would suggest that when you make the shavings, to put more pressure of the knife bevel against the wood rather than down the length of the stick in a vertical sense. Let the edge do the slicing....more pressure against the wood means that more of the bevel and edge will be in contact with the wood. Also, it helps to keep the whole arm straight - flex at the shoulder so you have more control. And finally, try using different parts of the knife blade when making the slices...perhaps alternating between using the edge right by the handle and the part where it starts to curve towards the tip. The curved part will give you curly feathers, but it may not be as easy to control as the part of the edge closest to the handle.

Oh, and before I forget, I should mention that any wood will shave, but some woods are better (meaning "easier") than others to carve. A knot-free section of pine works very well, as shown in the photo below. Poplars/aspens/cottonwoods (all those with the Populus genus) are decent, as are willows and hazel. Birch can work, but sometimes it can be rather fiddly due to denser grain structure than the aforementioned softer woods.

But don't fret, you get it soon enough .

Last edited by OakAshandThorn; 31-08-2016 at 06:10 PM. Reason: blimey, I forgot to mention....
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeyfox View Post
    ... I kept on breaking off the smallest curls when I held the firesteel too close, and if I held it too far, the sparks were too cool to ignite the wood.
    Remember also to pull the firesteel rod backwards rather than push forward with your scraper.
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. - Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Remember also to pull the firesteel rod backwards rather than push forward with your scraper.
    ??? pushing the scraper forward has always worked for me.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Pushing the scraper works fine. Even better in terms of directing the sparks. The reason for pulling the rod is to avoid knocking your tinder or breaking the Featherstick.