Thread: Nice gas stove with OK simmer functionality

Nice gas stove with OK simmer functionality

Last year (or was it the year before I bought this jet boil clone at Biltema here in Norway. Biltema is a supermarket of cheap car parts, cheap tools and cheap chinese clones of outdoors stuff.
    Everyone shops there but nobody will admit it, except when they find that rare jewel...like this jet boil clone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	13761

Mine is branded by Biltema, but I have seen the same online sold under different brand names. So I guess its a generic one that companies buys direct and slaps tehir own logo on.
    So far I have seen them as Fire Maple and Alpkit :-)

Anyway I had not used it much until recently as I do not cook much with gas. But on our recent family trip to the border mountains, I took it to get a quick brew up for the wife as she gets cranky without her coffee...specially if there is no shower and room service :-)

So I was not impressed with it during my tests at home. It's kinda of big, and the gas bottles are heavy to carry compared to a few ounces of meths for a quick brew. And I am not to concerned with boil times.

But here I was in the hills, the mosquitos had driven us into the tent for the night, but we where hungry, and wanted som hot dogs before bed so out it came.
    And I got quite a surprise. This thing has a very good valve on it as it simmer very well, whicj means that you can actually cook something in it. I do not beleive that is what the original jeg boil is famous for. ANd I paid 30£ for it. A jet boil would set me back at least 120$.

I cant speak for the build quallity, mine has been sitting in my big box of stoves in the shed for probably two years, but its seems solid enough. The cooking pot itself is anodized aluminium.
    :-)
    Just thoutght I'd put the word out there :-)
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 12-08-2016 at 10:55 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

the Alpkit one is only £38 - so a pretty good price compared to a Jetboil

Many thanks

https://www.alpkit.com/products/brukit
    Last edited by happybonzo; 13-08-2016 at 09:41 AM. Reason: fat finger typing
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

It comes with a plastic eating bowl, a standard size gas canister nests in the cooking pot, and the bag is big enough to store the eating bowl on top (with some spices, salt etc inside), plus you can shobe a couple of sporks or something inside the bag too. So it is a compact packet. I just fond it to be heavy and take up to much space in my go bag to use ut for my little walks.
    Boil time: 5-6 minutes so probably ant compete with a jet boil in that regard.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Don't forget the amount of fumes that heat exchanger pots give off FF

Really one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lixada-1-2...EAAOSw71BXQcU1

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Stainle...IAAOSwawpXqdnh

will do the job just as quickly plus you can use the gas burner with any pot or kettle.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    Don't forget the amount of fumes that heat exchanger pots give off FF

Really one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lixada-1-2...EAAOSw71BXQcU1

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Stainle...IAAOSwawpXqdnh

will do the job just as quickly plus you can use the gas burner with any pot or kettle.
    Yep, I would never use a pot like that one inside a closed and sealed tent. However ours was wide open in both ends, and has no floor, so air was coming in from under the walls as well, so we plenty of circulation.

And yes that setup is probably just as fast. I have the same burner, and have used it with a standard kettle, and it was just as fast as well...

ANyway for those curious...

Here is some CO2 results with some well known burners vs no kettle, flat nottomed kettle, and a heat exchange kettle (Primus ETA power)

Optimus 111: (effect: 2.4Kw)

No kettle: 2-4 ml/min
    Flat bottomed kettle: 20-35 ml/min
    Heat exchange kettle: 200- 750 ml/min

Coleman 550 (Effect: 1.8Kw)

No kettle: 2 ml/min
    Flat bottomed kettle: 120 ml/min
    Heat exchange kettle: 1800 -2200 ml/min

But this is when the ETAPOwer is used as a regular kettle on a stove it was not made for.
    When you use it on the original stove gives off 13 ppm CO2.

But then it's smaller brother, the Primus ETA Express billows a whooping 1860 ppm.

The
    Norwegian ARmy research institute report on the matter says that:

"We se that 10-20 times as much CO when the ETA Power kettle is used instead of a standard kettle.
    In the most extreme cases with a coleman 550, we recon that apoximately 50% of the carbon in the fuel is released as CO.
    These are values that will give lethal conditions inside a tent within a short time period (my translation)"

So yes, it is something to be are of, and to safeguard against.
    (Roald Amundsen)