Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnifying Glass

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."

Magnifying Glass

hello,
    I was given a few small transparent magnifying glasses by a student friend "stone kicker". I was informed that the "stone kickers" use these in the field for viewing up close stones/agates etc.. they find. A brief description of the magnifiers, these are plastic transparent plexiglass ( acrylic ) actual size : 59mm x 29mm x 7mm effective diameter: 25mm weight: 4g magnification between x5-10 times. I was very fortunate recently to have the opportunity in between heavy rain showers to practice fire lighting skills in the woods whilst out walking. It's such weird weather in between showers it was brilliant sunshine +17C. I decided I would try this small magnifying glass with char cloth & amadou as tinder. They are used primarily by students in the laboratories at University & are thrown away after use. These are very similar to those found as GAWs in cereal packets etc.. I was given a few samples brand new in zip lock plastic bags for Bushcraft purposes & for such a small lens BTW they are very effective. I would say IMO they're very similar to the magnifier from the Swiss Army Knife.
    Regards
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 1.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	13760

A magnifying glass is an under-rated piece of kit - for fire lighting and allsorts of other things eg looking at tiny critters, splinters etc.

I always carry a hand lense with me for plant and invertebrate id. Never tried using it for fire lighting though. I guess I'll have to remedy that whilst we have some sun.

One with Nature
    hello Pootle,
    We don't often get a lot of sunshine North of the Border but I do carry my SAK Explorer with magnifier & in my EDC kit bag. I've added a fresnel lens & now one of these small magnifiers to play with in my FSK. I was going to say how could I harness the elements in this instance rain water to light a fire.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCyHC7lnMyQ
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Pootle View Post
    I always carry a hand lense with me for plant and invertebrate id. Never tried using it for fire lighting though. I guess I'll have to remedy that whilst we have some sun.
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 11-08-2016 at 06:19 PM.

Samuel Hearne
    I still have the old issue burning lens, but found it a little heavy, I have a small magnifying glass that I have had for about 20 yrs and Fresnel lens that I was given about 3 yrs ago.

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello Pootle,
    We don't often get a lot of sunshine North of the Border but I do carry my SAK Explorer with magnifier & in my EDC kit bag. I've added a fresnel lens & now one of these small magnifiers to play with in my FSK. I was going to say how could I harness the elements in this instance rain water to light a fire.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCyHC7lnMyQ
    Regards
    David
    Nice little video there David!
    Regards

We got one of those little magnifying lenses too David!
    woody Jr. uses it for his crystal and fossil collections.

That's become quite a bit of a collection too after just a year ...

Amongst many, lapis lazuli with a gold vein through , various geodes, (suspect) meteorite fragment , agates , amethysts , selenite , onyx and he even has an amber with seed pods inside...

Ammonites , trilobites, sharks teeth and others curiosities...
    I'm not sure what this one is , but it's rock hard even though it looks in pristine condition.... Some kind of hard shelled caterpillar?

Sorry, way off topic and a bit geeky ... But he's got them all out tonight to clean and check whats available for trading, so I thought I'd share it here...

Anyways, back to the OP,
    Great little lenses for bug hunting, close up studying of flora and fauna and of course for fire starting using only the power of The Sun!

Kind regards

D.
    Last edited by Woody; 13-08-2016 at 10:19 AM.

One with Nature
    hello,
    WOW anything but geeky.. that is one awesome collection. The final photo looks like the gum line with teeth of something that has curled up & then fossilised. Interesting find whatever it is?? Good on you Woody Jnr. someone's caught the "stone kickers" bug.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello,
    WOW anything but geeky.. that is one awesome collection. The final photo looks like the gum line with teeth of something that has curled up & then fossilised. Interesting find whatever it is?? Good on you Woody Jnr. someone's caught the "stone kickers" bug.
    Regards
    David
    Hi David, we're not sure what it is either but it looks like a big slug with a hell of an armoured back ...
    Whatever it is it's rock hard and not long started fossilising... It was a gift from his nan who got it in her travels down in central America a few years back.
    Thanks for the comment, he definitely has caught the stone kicker bug and it's contagious... I'm like a magpie now on our walks... 😁

One with Nature
    hello Woody,
    Aye a slug did come to mind as the markings resemble a slug but as for the armour?? I sure wouldn't like to find that in my garden chewing at the greens that is for sure!! I had a wee browse at the content of the nature table "stone kicking" finds very impressive. I was chatting to one of my BCUSA buddies & think we should create a "stone kickers" badge/patch similar to the "not all those who wander are lost" patch still a WIP.
    Regards
    David

Name:  Image 1.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  18.3 KB
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 19-08-2016 at 09:30 AM. Reason: typo error