Thread: A day out with the father! (And his first writeup)

A day out with the father! (And his first writeup)

NB. Picture of pigeons hunted for food!

Me and my dad are both currently sporting Zeiss optics, mine on a Wembley raider 10 and his on an AA S410, I got him his scope for fathers day and we went out airgunning to try them out. He was so impressed he decided to write a review/trip report about his setup! Enjoy lads and lasses and hopefully now you see where u get my love of the outdoors and things that go bang.

The harvest is in full swing here , combines on most of the farms have been busy cutting barley for the last few days . As the barley disappears from the fields*the wood pigeons switch their attention to the*standing wheat . Any gaps in the standing crops are quickly found by the pigeons , and they will have the wheat heads picked bare in a matter of hours . One of the fields on which we have permission adjoins a public football field so a foray with the shotgun was out of the question . On a corner of the field is a dead tree about 20 feet high and I noticed that the pigeons were using the uppermost branches as a handy vantage point to decide where they were going to drop in to devour the farmers corn . I figured if I could get a decoy high enough in the branches the pigeons would be fooled into landing beside it and staying long enough to get a shot at them with my Air-Arms s410 . I tied a piece of fishing line to a weight and threw it over a branch about 5 feet from the top of the tree**, tied a decoy to the end and pulled a it up into the branches and into clear view of any passing birds. I concealed myself about 30 yards along the hedge and waited to see if my plan would fool these wily birds . I didn't have long to wait , within five minutes half a dozen pigeons flew straight in and settled down to decide where to get breakfast . I let them settle for a minute*and slowly raised the rifle onto my hand that I had resting on a branch to steady my shot . I'd already set the parallax to 30 yards and I had the scope set on 16 X. The sight picture was breathtaking , I watched my chosen target for what seemed like an age , l could see every detail on the pigeons head and neck, the sharp bright eye and the beautiful colours down the neck to its gleaming white collar , I steadied my self for the shot ,held my breath and slowly squeezed the trigger . The trigger released like a glass rod breaking fast, precise and with not a hint of creep . The shot hit home with a smack , clean as a whistle through the side of the head , completely humane without even hearing the shot the pigeon dropped like a stone out of the tree . It was so instant it was like watching it in slow motion . I went and picked him up and he was a perfect specimen of a wood pigeon who had been living of the fat of the land all**his life. Back in the hide I settled back down to see if this was just an unlucky pigeon or had my plan worked like a charm .I was right ,my decoy must have looked perfect because a couple of minutes later another two pigeons landed in the same spot ,**same result , the pigeon**was so well defined I could actually see the pellet on its path to the side of its head, smack two for two, this was too good to be true . Sure enough I missed the next two clean , I have a moderator on the rifle and the only thing I can blame is**the gun was maybe a little bit long to manoeuvre in my somewhat cramped position . A bull pup may be the answer but being of the old school we never had such exotics to experiment with when I was a kid. Anyway to cut a long story short in the next hour another two were taken with shots to the head , dead before they knew what hit them .RWS super domes performed absolutely brilliantly , hitting the zero every time , and with the help of this excellent scope it feels almost like cheating . You can see the target so clearly it has to be experienced to be believed . In my first review I said if you have to risk a divorce to get one risk it , having used it for a few weeks mostly on targets but also on rats and pigeons I now must say don't worry about the threat of a divorce get one you will not regret it . A truly wonderful piece of kit .

Ps. Damascus bushlore clone is my work and binos are Hawke

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mick91; 06-08-2016 at 09:25 PM.

Nice write up
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Nice , Mick!
    Hope you take pictures of the cooking too...
    They look healthy and plump.

Nice work on the clone too...
    👍

Nice write up. Not been out for ages but reading that makes me want to. Pigeon breasts are good eating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWalker View Post
    Nice write up. Not been out for ages but reading that makes me want to. Pigeon breasts are good eating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Eat em at the very least once a week! Beautiful meat, sustainable and ethical. And how much more organic can you get than something that eats corn for a living lol

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Nice , Mick!
    Hope you take pictures of the cooking too...
    They look healthy and plump.

Nice work on the clone too...
    👍
    Cheers woody. Had a couple curried tonight! The clone was as a test piece for one I made for a customer, I made mistakes on that one but my dad loved it and claimed it lol

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk