Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navigation and Orientation using compass

Navigation and Orientation using compass

I'm not sure where I can post this topic.

For a long time, I wanted to learn how to orientate and navigate using a compass (and possibly a map).
    I know the very very basics, but I think I need guidance or a plan so that I can gauge my progress.

How do you start practising navigation and what good exercises can you recommend?

Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Contact your local orienteering club, they often have navigation courses.

Or find a mate who knows what they are at and go for a weekend walking.

I have run navigation courses under the NNAS before, and I often found one surprising thing was that the men who came on the course would happily pay, and equally happily not listen! They sort of thought that being a bloke meant they were genetically programmed to be able to use a compass and map! The women on the courses would listen and ask questions and not get lost in the exercises, especially the night ones! If you want to know how the map is drawn, then get your local one (the orange cover one is best), as you will know your own local area well you will be able to look at the map and the reality on the ground, and interpret the two together so you will see what the lines mean, the symbols and also be able to marry the two together so it makes sense.

Or even volunteer to be a Scout leader, you will learn a load, and also be able to learn to pass on your new found knowledge!

Or just look on YouTube, there is loads of stuff on there......

Yeah, it's not especially difficult.
    I'm sure there are loads of tutorials on youtube and elsewhere online.
    Get yourself a map, a compass, and some pace beads and go out and do it!
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    This might be of some interest.. http://www.wikihow.com/Read-a-Map
    Regards
    David

+1 for the pace beads
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

If I could just add, before the pace beads you need to do one key thing. You have to find a school running track/leisure centre with a running track. Then walk the 100m sprint track a bunch of times in walking kit to see how many steps 100m actually takes (just count how many left foot steps you take)! Then learn to translate that info on to rough ground, uphill, across a river, in a big pack etc. No point in having 400m on the pace beads if you have only walked 280m!

There is also another option to pace beads which I use, it depends on you being comfortable going in a knitting shop though!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20pcs-New-Plastic-Crochet-Knitting-Needles-Row-Counter-2-Sizes-Big-and-Small-Knitter-Needle-Stit.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	13750

Where do you live by the way? I bet there is someone on here who could get out for a walk with you for a day to check out the basics with you.

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarMan View Post
    Where do you live by the way? I bet there is someone on here who could get out for a walk with you for a day to check out the basics with you.
    I live in Malaysia, which is in South East Asia, so I probably doubt that.

I was wondering if it is possible to navigate and orientate without a map but just a compass. Has anyone tried?

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeyfox View Post

I was wondering if it is possible to navigate and orientate without a map but just a compass. Has anyone tried?
    Yes it will of course tell you what direction you are going. The point about the map is that it will tell you where you are, wher ethe place you need to be is and in combination with the map, tell you what direction you need to go to get there. It will also tell you what is between you and your goal. I.e there could be a lake, a river or a cliff face between you, making a direct route less practical or even impossible.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I know from the BCUSA forum there are a few Bushcrafters, campers & hikers in Malaysia.
    regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeyfox View Post