Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to consider when buying a tent?

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeyfox View Post
    I've browsed some shops for tarps; some of the tarps seem substandard and others have prices that made me choke.

If I'm going for a cheap tarp, what should I be looking for?
    I don't know if you can get one easily where you are, but the dd tarps are very popular in the UK. I have one and would recommend it. Here's their website
    http://www.ddhammocks.com/products/all_tarps
    Failing that any cheap tarp will get you out there and keep you dry. but will be heavier and a lot more bulky to pack.

I have never tried a jungle hammock before -- it sounds like something I should add to my repertoire.

Another thing: what do you guys think of those 'quick set-up' or 'automatic folding' tents?
    I had the DD jungle hammock, great bit of kit imho, can also be used as a bivvy ( you will need an extra tarp as the one that comes with it goes to ground first in this mode.

I've browsed some shops for tarps; some of the tarps seem substandard and others have prices that made me choke.

If I'm going for a cheap tarp, what should I be looking for?
    Lot's of cheap stuff out there, some better than others, not sure if I'm allowed to mention makers on here in ope forum ? or go for DD, again, I love DD

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    I have a DD tarp too 4.5m x3m .
    A little bit too big for a solo adventure but it sure is worth its price...

If I was to buy a solo one I'd go for 3m x3m ( that's metres by the way ) and something that can pack small and be put in a bag.

The military ones should be cheaper and good quality where you are?!
    Is there military surplus shops where you are?

Either way , you can buy a cheaper tarp and buy waterproofing sprays to respray and restore or improve the tarps water resistance.
    👍
    Last edited by Woody; 07-08-2016 at 11:31 PM.

One biggie to consider is that in a tent you have to sleep on the ground. Something I got reminded of last week, when my little clan went camping in the mountains bordering Sweden.
    And since I was not alone the option was the family tent. Now we did go car camping, so we also brought our ling sized air matresses, so it should be comfy enough....wrong"
    The blasted contraption of course had a slow leak, so every second hour we were directly on the ground, which was bedrock...So no sleep that night, and my hatred of tents in the favour of tarps and hammocks got confirmed.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Nukey , I think you should have a look at this...

http://www.junglecraft.com.my/index....of-the-jungle/

Its all there in your backyard my friend

No need for tents ...

Or even tarps...

I think the key thing is the speed and strength of your erection. You really don't want it too floppy, nice and firm will definitely be the most satisfying. Also consider how many it will be for, often it is easy enough to meet the demands of one person, but if two or three people are involved, then things can get out of hand and all that rolling around can cause it to go all floppy when really you would like to stay up for much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarMan View Post
    I think the key thing is the speed and strength of your erection. You really don't want it too floppy, nice and firm will definitely be the most satisfying. Also consider how many it will be for, often it is easy enough to meet the demands of one person, but if two or three people are involved, then things can get out of hand and all that rolling around can cause it to go all floppy when really you would like to stay up for much longer.
    Sounds like you haven't taken yours out for a while...

Don't leave it too long pal, you know what they say...

"If you don't use , you lose it..."

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarMan View Post
    Any advise on how to maintain and clean it? Most of the time, if it gets wet, I just drain it and wipe it dry.
    Am I handling it with enough care?

Any advise on how to maintain and clean it? Most of the time, if it gets wet, I just drain it and wipe it dry.
    Am I handling it with enough care?
    Care and maintenance hmmm, this is a very important issue. When it is up, try not to tug too much at it, as that will make it go floppier quicker. If you have to touch it, stroke it and give it the occasional shake to get the drops off. To make sure it is kept in tip-top condition, try and get someone else to give a close once over on a regular basis, both when it is down and up.

Before you tuck it away, always make sure it nice and clean, again if someone else is at hand it may be easier to reach the folds and creases.

If you look after it properly it will last a lifetime of you giving it quite a beating, it will thrive where it's damp and be ready to use at a moments notice.

Alone in the Wilderness
    Hi Nukeyfox,
    Had the same problem myself a while back. If 5.5kg is ok for you, then consider the Dutch army tent. It is very well made, soldier proof even. They are reasonably priced and really nice to use. My favourite tent in fact. Single skin canvas ridge. Just Fabsil it first. Mine was grade 1, no damage as such or repairs. Used it in heavy weather and slept like a baby. For me, they are the best thing going. It will sleep two at a push and after using one of those Polish things, waking up to find it had been invaded by a slug and snail army, crawling over me.....no thanks. Put a 3x3 tarp over it if you want more shelter. Those modern tents are fine, but easy to damage, even a spark from your fire could burn a hole. The Dutch groundsheet is thick, so no need to worry about damage when using a self inflating sleep mat. If I had just one tent, then this would be it. Check them out on U-Tube and you will see them.

Hope this has helped.

p.s. Mine has wooden poles. You can get them with metal.and you will need 2.5 litres of Fabsil.
    Last edited by C-Dog; 21-08-2016 at 07:23 PM.