Thread: A week on the cornish coast

Wanderer

A week on the cornish coast

We are from the bristol bath area, so i am enjoying my hols on the crystal clear coastal waters

So far we have been eating feather caught pollack, rock and marsh samphire, sea beet and sea lettuce

I ask does anyone have advice on cooking the lettuce, i dabbed it with kitchen roll but of course it still made rather a mess when being added to the hot oil?

The end result was tasty and crispy, but the cottage needed a wiping down

Also do we have to worry about eating razor clams straight from the sea? Salt will be used for extraction, do they still need further cleaning or just striaght in the pan?

We go over over to scilly isles tomorrow for the day, any advice?

Once washed and dried, rub the oil onto the lettuce, rather than adding the oil to the pan - the same way you would a steak.

From
    http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/how...ok-razor-clams

"How to cook razor clams

It is necessary to properly clean and prepare razor clams before cooking. This takes some time, as each razor clam needs to be checked individually. Check the clams are closed - any open shells should close when gently tapped - if they don’t, you should bin them. Place all the clams in a colander and continually run cold water over them to remove excess sand. Check the outside of the shells to make sure they aren’t broken; any damaged shells should be discarded.

The classic method for cooking razor clams is by steaming them in a flavoured liquid, perhaps with a splash of wine and some sweated onions and garlic, though there are all kinds of methods that flatter their sweet, delicate meat. Don’t forget to remove the ‘foot’ of the clam before eating, and to cut out the central dark intestinal tract, leaving only the firm white clam meat. Make sure you don’t overcook the clams, as they can become tough quite quickly."

Enjoy,

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Ehecatl got it spot on,especially on the selection and discarding of the broken or open ones.
    I would just add that clams in general are best left overnight in a tub full of fresh water , as they will expunge sand , salt and other detritus and will taste clean the next day....
    Bon appetit!