Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Just what the chuff is going on in the world?

  1. #1

    Just what the chuff is going on in the world?

    Baton Rouge, Dallas, Nice, Paris x 2, Wurzburg and now the beautiful and welcoming city of Munich.

    Just terrible, absolutely terrible and I worry for the world my children will inherit.

    That's all

  2. #2
    Ent FishyFolk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Harstad, Norway
    Posts
    3,542
    There used to be more of it in Europe in the cold war era...but back then you read about it in the newspaper the day after. You where not watching it unfold live as it happened on your big screen TV.

    So same manure, different times. Your children will most likely be fine.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

    Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

  3. #3
    Tribal Elder Humakt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The hills of Sartar
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    There used to be more of it in Europe in the cold war era...but back then you read about it in the newspaper the day after. You where not watching it unfold live as it happened on your big screen TV.

    So same manure, different times. Your children will most likely be fine.
    That.
    All that's changed is the technology. It's made it more immediate, more visceral.
    Tell me when that Golden Age when outrages and atrocities didn't happen. The only difference is that the technology now exists where you have umpteen TV channels bringing you the (doom laden) news, and the internet, mobile phones to record and stream it, and more newspapers vying for your business with ever more lurid headlines.
    That's what's changed.

    But, yes - it is all, none the less, terrible.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

    Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

    Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    There used to be more of it in Europe in the cold war era...but back then you read about it in the newspaper the day after. You where not watching it unfold live as it happened on your big screen TV.

    So same manure, different times. Your children will most likely be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    That.
    All that's changed is the technology. It's made it more immediate, more visceral.
    Tell me when that Golden Age when outrages and atrocities didn't happen. The only difference is that the technology now exists where you have umpteen TV channels bringing you the (doom laden) news, and the internet, mobile phones to record and stream it, and more newspapers vying for your business with ever more lurid headlines.
    That's what's changed.

    But, yes - it is all, none the less, terrible.
    Could either of you gents point out one single occasion between 1950 and 1992 (roughly the Cold War) when a group of armed men went into a shopping centre and randomly shot lots of people, or drove a huge lorry into a crowd, or blew themselves up on a tube train? No, of course you can't.

    To say it went on, but was unreported because of the internet is nonsense, the Falklands was pretty well reported live, and that was 35 years ago, the PLO in Munich was pretty much reported live (and is probably the closest, but they targeted Jewish athletes and staff). I remember watching the SAS do the Iranian Embassy, the Balcombe Street siege, the Entebbe raid was almost live. Of course it's not just the internet and 24 hour news.

    Apart from that, none of the terror groups in the Cold War period went in for mass innocent killings on the scale we have seen in the last few years. And most definitely none of them, PLO, ETA, PIRA, Bader Meinhoff, none of them, went in for suicide bombings.

    The idea that there is an equivalence between the 60s/70s/80s and what we have seen since 9/11 is astounding.

  5. #5
    Ent FishyFolk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Harstad, Norway
    Posts
    3,542
    Quote Originally Posted by CheddarMan View Post
    Could either of you gents point out one single occasion between 1950 and 1992 (roughly the Cold War) when a group of armed men went into a shopping centre and randomly shot lots of people, or drove a huge lorry into a crowd, or blew themselves up on a tube train? No, of course you can't.

    To say it went on, but was unreported because of the internet is nonsense, the Falklands was pretty well reported live, and that was 35 years ago, the PLO in Munich was pretty much reported live (and is probably the closest, but they targeted Jewish athletes and staff). I remember watching the SAS do the Iranian Embassy, the Balcombe Street siege, the Entebbe raid was almost live. Of course it's not just the internet and 24 hour news.

    Apart from that, none of the terror groups in the Cold War period went in for mass innocent killings on the scale we have seen in the last few years. And most definitely none of them, PLO, ETA, PIRA, Bader Meinhoff, none of them, went in for suicide bombings.

    The idea that there is an equivalence between the 60s/70s/80s and what we have seen since 9/11 is astounding.

    I wanted to put down a list for you but it would be so long that I just gave up. Here is a Wikipedia link that have them all...

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...s_in_the_1970s
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

    Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    I wanted to put down a list for you but it would be so long that I just gave up. Here is a Wikipedia link that have them all...

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...s_in_the_1970s
    Yep, just terrorist business as usual look.......

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2016-07-23 at 21.28.10.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	13742

  7. #7
    Natural Born Bushcrafter Woody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Posts
    836
    Apologies if it's slightly off topic.

    A few years ago we were giving out bread to the ducks by the river, as you do . And a couple, who also had 2 little children fascinated with little quacks , said hello and so did we, we asked where they were from and it turned out to be Iraq.
    I asked if this man thought it was a good thing that the coalition had just toppled you know who, he looked me in the eye and simply said that, as a Christian his life had been made untenable. His family was not safe there.
    So I asked if he thought this was a religious war.
    He replied that the religion argument is subjective , as we are all trying to climb the same mountain , on different paths . Arguing about which path is the right one is pointless as they all lead to the same place...
    Love , peace and happiness come from within.

    I took a moment to digest his words and I understood that I would have done the same as him in his shoes.
    Fleeing was the only option.


    My point ,
    Fear and religion are powerful tools and these nutters know it , they feed on it.

    Im not sure the average Brit goes to church on Sunday anymore, or even believe in God , for that matter.

    So what can we do?
    Be scared?
    I don't think so.

    My thoughts are with the victim's families and the ones left to pick up the pieces of this ugly puzzle.
    Last edited by Woody; 24-07-2016 at 01:12 AM.

  8. #8
    Peasant Ashmantle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Stockport, Cheshire
    Posts
    50
    We see more horror today due to mass media and its need to constantly show us the bad things happening in the world. I still believe there is more good in the world.

    In a recent interview Obama was asked why the world is so full of evil and hate, his answer was this:

    Imagine if you could live in any time of History including today, but, it was completely random who you were. So you could be poor, rich, crippled, mentally ill, black, white, blind, deaf, any number of random things.... If you thought really hard you would probably want to live in today's world.

  9. #9
    Ent FishyFolk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Harstad, Norway
    Posts
    3,542
    Quote Originally Posted by CheddarMan View Post
    Yep, just terrorist business as usual look.......

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2016-07-23 at 21.28.10.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	13742
    I was thinking of western Europe...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chartoftheday_4093_people_killed_by_terrorist_attacks_in_western_europe_since_1970_n.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	13743
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

    Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

  10. #10
    Woodsman rik_uk3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    South Wales UK
    Posts
    512
    I was talking to a mate who lives on Tenerife, the island is packed with brits who are not going to Turkey.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •