Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife Making WIP, first attempt

Knife Making WIP, first attempt

Hi everyone,

Inspired by the great knife I purchased from the talented @mick91 Ive decided to try my hand at knife making, Ive been slowly putting togther a samll workshop in the old garden shed.

Its been a steep learning curve so far with constant runs, mid process from the shed back to the WIFI haven of the house to watch Youtube clips.

Anyway, here is where I am at, I want to use this thread as a full WIP with lots of images of the different stages, please forgive the crappy mobile phone images!

First step was to draw up the knife design, I wanted a Full flat grind dropoint with a good handle length, primary usage was to be bushcraft. I went with a 3 pin design plus lanyard tube. I also decided on a Finger Groove (something I soon learnt to regret! :cursing: )

I marked out the design on a length of 4mm O1 Tool steel, then started to cut out using hacksaw and angle grinder (without setting my shed on fire with the sparks!)

I started to file out the finger groove using a Metal file...... at this stage I wondered if adding a large finger groove was a mistake for a first time knife maker, trying to get a clean and correctly rounded groove was a nightmare!

A clean up and smoothing of the edges using my grinder

Nail punching guides for the pins

Then onto the drill press to add pin holes and additional holes to lighten the weight

And this is where I am currently up to. Im going to add a few more weight reducing holes.

So far its been a really cool and exciting process, ive played around at grinding freehand using my small grinder on some spare steel... im making a small grinding jig to help me out with that!

Next stage is heat treating, I considered sending the blades off for heat treating but I really want to embrace the full process. Im making a two brick forge which should be completed over the coming weekend.

Keep it up man! Looks great so far

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mick91 View Post
    Keep it up man! Looks great so far

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
    Cheers Mick!

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    It's looking good! Can't wait to see the final product...

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    very impressive so far

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    It's looking good! Can't wait to see the final product...
    Cheers Woody!

Quote Originally Posted by luresalive View Post
    very impressive so far
    Thanks mate, fingers crossed it will look good and be a fully functional knife at the end!

Sure it'll turn out great! As for the finger choil I can recommend using a small drum sander in a pillar drill. Or any drill really! It eats the sandpaper but gives a great smooth and even finish.

Also watch the balance with drilling holes. A blade heavy knife is great for heavy chopping but can feel clumsy to use. A tang heavy knife is great for tip control but can be difficult for heavy work. Aim for the balance point to be around the finger choil of possible. Its personal preference, but have a feel of the knives you like to use. Odds are the balance will be where your index finger sits
    Last edited by mick91; 24-07-2016 at 01:36 PM.

looking good so far! cant wait to see the end result mate

Thanks for the tip Mick.