Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eden

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    Don't waste your time watching it - it's not aimed at the likes of people who post on bushcraft forums.
    You're not their target audience.
    All that will happen is that you will get annoyed at so-and-so for doing something wrong, or being poorly instructed, or some other pedantic point. And then you will post your disgust on a bushcraft forum thus demonstrating what a joyless and po-faced lot bushcrafters can be.
    It's not aimed at you.
    It's just trashy reality TV masquerading as some kind of social experiment. But it's not. It's just voyeuristic trash.
    That's OK if you watch it knowing that's all it is, but don't watch it expecting anything else.
    Fair enough! It can also be amusing, when theres "too many chiefs, not enough Indians.." and all the joys of living in a close knit community with loads of strangers ...
    I will watch one or two to see if I like it...
    But I probably will give it a miss on a long term...

PS-.-
    Hey Humakt off topic , but thanks for that bag! It's the dogs whatsits ...
    Compartmentalization really works well for me...
    And it's built like a tank!
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Blimey, TVs in the bedrooms?! Internet on the TV ?!
    Times have changed...in so little time it seems.
    When my grandad got our first (B&W) TV, the whole street used to come around to watch the programs, mainly the football...

Bedroom TV? Each to their own but when I finally get to the bedroom the only thing on my mind is ... ahem
    well you know... sleep!

my 15" TV just about gets the BBC 1 and 2 and the travel channel... the rest just gets stuck and has TV tourettes...weird pixelation , stopstarts and interrupted sound, due to bad signal... we re in the valley as it were.
    So I think we might just do what was suggested and do the catch up thing...
    I'll be in bed in an hour or so and watch an episode of 'The Dead and the Living' (great series) from the comfort of my bed and I'll be taking up a large glass of red wine and some grapes

https://www.filmon.com/tv/filmon-football has all the UK freeview channels and dozens from abroad so long as your internet connection is 3mb/s or more. Filmon or catchup, pay your TV license please.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    I'll be in bed in an hour or so and watch an episode of 'The Dead and the Living' (great series) from the comfort of my bed and I'll be taking up a large glass of red wine and some grapes

https://www.filmon.com/tv/filmon-football has all the UK freeview channels and dozens from abroad so long as your internet connection is 3mb/s or more. Filmon or catchup, pay your TV license please.
    Great, thanks for the links.
    I think im reinstating the TV license soon , as soon as it's all connected again...(building works at home)
    The olympics should be good too, so needs must.

Wine and grapes in bed hey?
    Fair play
    Can't argue with that...

ATB

And I'll prep the Teas Maid for my morning brew
    Richard
    South Wales UK

I get really surprised whenever I discover that there are people out there that watch traditional TV...i.e programs at a set schedule. I stream everything, and should probably just cancel my cable TV subscription as nobody in the family ever watch TV. It's all streaming over Fiber optic cable, so the kids and the wife is entertained by Netflix, etc. But we do not use the TV much. The kids mostly use their computers and tablets, same with the wife, and I got a huge screen fro the computer too. It got this way I guess beacouse we have to take the 5 year old into consideration...it would not do to watch "The Walking dead" on the big screen with him in the room. But if we want to use the 55" TV whatever is on our screens (phones, tablets, computers) can be streamed to the TV screena t the push of a button to be watched there.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I cancelled my Sky subscription because we rarely used it, we have Netflix which is OK. We record a lot of programmes via a 'Youview' box which is convenient at times, we watch when we want.

Keep a lookout for

Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I'm a little shortsighted sometimes...

Because we never watch TV just last week I decided it was time to do away with both the license and the TV.
    The kids are not interested, we just read and surf the net so what's the point right?
    Oooops, be careful, if your kids watch anything live online, then you are breaking the law......

"If you watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, you need to be covered by a TV Licence. This is the case whether you use a TV, computer, tablet, mobile phone, games console, digital box, DVD/VHS recorder or any other device."

As from 1st September, you will definitely be breaking the law....

"From 1 September 2016 you will need to be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This applies to any device and provider you use.
    Don't forget, you still need a TV Licence to watch or record programmes on any channel as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service."

That second bit is not widely known. Basically everyone will need a TV licence from 1st September! And it's a bargain anyway!

Which is why I said keep your license and its an absolute bargain IMHO.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

The reason I cancelled TV licence was not because of its price,( yep, it's cheap) but it's literally because we just simply don't watch it!

Thanks for the advice though cheddarman, I understand most people would not know about the new rules etc.

Some people also find it really difficult to understand , but it's superfluous. Redundant. Surplus to requirements.
    😀

https://youtu.be/npjOSLCR2hE

(... Sorry couldn't resist...)

Our lives are mostly occupied with work, school , swimming, martial arts , horse care and exercise, field archery, guitar lessons and homework. ( On different days of the week).
    Everyday, the kids do something after school that will keep them busy right up till dinner time, where we sit talk and eat .

After that we have downtime (from about 7 until 8) drawing, reading , listening or playing music , finishing off homework assignments or just drawing , painting , playing or even just chatting!
    Sometimes me and my boy come on natural Bushcraft to read , watch and learn.

At weekends we spend as much time as we can outdoors, either with the horses, practising a little bit of Bushcraft or even just walking and sightseeing.
    And in the weekend evenings we will maybe watch a movie or a documentary or sometimes we play jukebox, (where each takes a turn playing a song on YouTube.)= Music education.
    After the kids are in bed there's household chores, reading and spending quality time with each other ( me and Mrs).

So there , that's my life.
    I thank you all for the advice about keeping the TV license, I appreciate the rules are changing but to be honest I can just wait until the series is finished and then download and watch at my own convenience.
    No iPlayer , no live TV whatever channel it may be.

If I do reinstate TV licence it will be for the Olympics and for a short period .

Regards

PS- Apologies to David for thread hijack!
    Last edited by Woody; 17-07-2016 at 12:28 PM.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”