Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Eden

And back to the OP - watched it on 24-7 last night. Hmmm, not hugely impressed, it looks like it is shaping up to be a cross between "love island" (missed it? Trust me, be thankful you did) and "Castaway" (which I far preferred).

Too much focus on the "lovey dovey" couple and the schism between the cast members for my taste. Never mind Ray Mears is in France at the moment, so that will do me

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbear View Post
    And back to the OP - watched it on 24-7 last night. Hmmm, not hugely impressed, it looks like it is shaping up to be a cross between "love island" (missed it? Trust me, be thankful you did) and "Castaway" (which I far preferred).

Too much focus on the "lovey dovey" couple and the schism between the cast members for my taste. Never mind Ray Mears is in France at the moment, so that will do me
    I agree with the lovey dovey couple, clearly the thing will fall apart when the two couples break up and one of them gets with someone else! And the veggie menu could evaporate overnight!

To be fair though, Castaway also focused on the problems between the members of the group, it's what makes it interesting. Imagine if they all got on well, developed a perfectly functioning society, made two well thought out and fully working 'villages' and it all went really well? How boring would that be? Like Formula 1, at some level we all want to see a crash!

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    Don't waste your time watching it - it's not aimed at the likes of people who post on bushcraft forums.
    You're not their target audience.
    All that will happen is that you will get annoyed at so-and-so for doing something wrong, or being poorly instructed, or some other pedantic point. And then you will post your disgust on a bushcraft forum thus demonstrating what a joyless and po-faced lot bushcrafters can be.
    It's not aimed at you.
    It's just trashy reality TV masquerading as some kind of social experiment. But it's not. It's just voyeuristic trash.
    That's OK if you watch it knowing that's all it is, but don't watch it expecting anything else.
    Pretty much on the money there Humakt!
    I haven't watched one episode yet and if going by the comments on this thread is anything to go by, you were absolutely correct.
    Not any different from love island/ big brother type of thing...
    Nah....
    I'll give it a miss

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarMan View Post
    I agree with the lovey dovey couple, clearly the thing will fall apart when the two couples break up and one of them gets with someone else! And the veggie menu could evaporate overnight!

To be fair though, Castaway also focused on the problems between the members of the group, it's what makes it interesting. Imagine if they all got on well, developed a perfectly functioning society, made two well thought out and fully working 'villages' and it all went really well? How boring would that be? Like Formula 1, at some level we all want to see a crash!
    By the same token, the series was asking "what if we could start again" etc, and yet is placing focus on pure entertainment and schism rather than the potential to show the positive side of the experiment. At least Castaway started out with a positive spin (before they made a big thing about "Ray" the builder falling out with several people).

I fear it is a victim of "entertainment over education" as ever with TV

Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    Don't waste your time watching it - it's not aimed at the likes of people who post on bushcraft forums.
    You're not their target audience.
    All that will happen is that you will get annoyed at so-and-so for doing something wrong, or being poorly instructed, or some other pedantic point. And then you will post your disgust on a bushcraft forum thus demonstrating what a joyless and po-faced lot bushcrafters can be.
    It's not aimed at you.
    It's just trashy reality TV masquerading as some kind of social experiment. But it's not. It's just voyeuristic trash.
    That's OK if you watch it knowing that's all it is, but don't watch it expecting anything else.
    Ha, it doesn't need a tv programme to demonstrate that

That show is a joke lol