Thread: The Somme

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."

The Somme

hello,
    In honour of the 19,240 Allied soldiers who fell on the first day of the Battle of the Somme on 1st July 1916. On the morning of 1st July 2016 I'm going to sound a whistle (1 long blast) followed by a 2 minute silence same type as the WWI trench whistle at 11am at a memorial site. If everyone on the forum who had a similar trench whistle (mountaineer type whistle) sounded such at the same time of day, no matter where you are, that would be awesome. We did similar sometime ago & the eerie blast of the whistle as a reminder.. it stirs the blood & must have sent the fear of god through those going over the top. The Glorious Dead "lest we forget" The Great War 1914 -1918.
    Regards
    David
    *Edited: official "zero hour" 07:28am followed by a 2 minute silence 07:30am "Lest We Forget".

Name:  Image 1.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  40.2 KB

Ps. Disclaimer Reminder: Please be reminded of the distress signal with a whistle: six long blasts, rest a minute & repeat. The answering call being three long blasts, rest a minute & repeat. This to be continued until the rescue party & those being rescued are in sight of each other. SOS can also be used with three long, three short & three long blasts.
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 01-07-2016 at 05:36 AM. Reason: typo error

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    You learn something everyday...
    I never knew that more than 19000 lives were lost just on the first day...
    Putting yourself in their shoes for a minute or two and trying to imagine what was going through their minds is the least we can do.
    The feelings of hopelessness, fear, defiance , courage, and rage all turning your stomach as you lied in the trench waiting for that whistle ...
    I do have a mountain whistle that you sent my boy a while back, but I'm working all day Friday and the kids are at school.
    We will stop for the 2min silence but I'm afraid I can't be at a memorial site.
    However I'll be having a chat with the kids tomorrow night and together learn more about this terrible ordeal.
    Thanks for sharing that David.

Regards

Edit-

PS- - I'm going to suggest that he asks the teacher to blow his whistle at the school to mark the 2min silence.
    I'm sure that would be ok, so we'll ask.
    Last edited by Woody; 29-06-2016 at 07:15 AM.

I'll raise a glass to them, even if we managed to sit out that war...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

One with Nature
    hello,
    Woody that would be an awesome gesture, no matter NBCUK forum members wherever you are on the 1st July 2016 11am, at home or workplace 2 minutes of your time isn't a great deal to ask. "When you go home, tell them of us and say: For your tomorrow, we gave our today" Lest We Forget.
    Regards
    David
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 01-07-2016 at 05:40 PM. Reason: typo error

Nice gesture.
    It makes me shiver just thinking about it.
    I also was unaware of the sheer numbers involved.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

One with Nature
    hello,
    The Royal British Legion is encouraging members of communities throughout the country to hold their own Somme commemoration & has produced a free commemorative toolkit to assist. http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/comm...e-somme-poppy/
    Regards
    David

There is nothing more to say, I remember seeing this a while before I left the Army. Several of us sat in our room in Larkhill, NATOs finest killing machines, all strangely getting something in our eyes at the same time. For a comedy it bloody nailed it. Several of us had lost a friend in NI or The Falklands or by accidents etc, we were trying to get our heads around everyone in our entire unit being killed in a day, or possibly even in one sweep of a Maxim! Chuffing unbelievable.

One with Nature
    hello,
    "zero hour" approaches 07:28am followed by a 2 minute silence 07:30am "Lest We Forget".
    Regards
    David
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/timelines/ztngxsg

One with Nature
    hello,
    Bump.. I'm in Glasgow. Have a browse at this http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/01/weareh...enary-5978067/
    Regards
    David