Thread: Wildland Fire Data Info

Exclamation Wildland Fire Data Info

This post would be more meaningful to US members, but I thought I'd type it out here for the benefit of all.

After attending the Midwest Wildfire Training academy 2 weeks ago, and with fire season really taking off in the western states, I thought I would share some data and more detailed reports of what is going on than what can be found on the news.

The first is the National Interagency Coordination Center's website, from where you can find out pretty much anything regarding wildfires and natural disasters across the country. At the top left of the page under Information is the NICC Incident Management Situation Report, which is updated everyday, containing wildfire data across the states as well as Canada. The incidents are listed in tables. Perscribed fires are also included towards the bottom of the Sit. Rep. Going back to the NICC website page (the first link above), you can click on any region marked on the map, which will take you to the Coordination Centers for each region/area. Each region's page will have a link to their Morning Report/Briefing under a "What's New" or "Bulletin Board" panel. The reports are similar to the Incident Management Sit. Rep, but they only concern the fire information for that region/area. Some reports will include detailed weather data, which is valuable information for the entire chain of command engaged at the incident, from the fire squads and crews on the line up to the Incident Commander.

One of our rangers, whom I was working with in the field on Tuesday, received a message from his supervisor telling him that his single resource was on call, and that he needed to come back to the station ASAP. On the way back, through dispatch he was notified to report into Utah by 12:00 the very next day. Things are certainly getting crazy out west. It wouldn't surprise me if a few more from the station are called.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Thanks for the details Bro. One of the BCUSA forum members sent me similar details, stay safe out there.
    Regards
    David