Thread: Another Nice Find

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."

Another Nice Find

hello,
    I found this stone kicking along the riverside in Glasgow a few months ago. A wee dog was chewing it. I didn't want to deprive the wee doggie of it's 'chew toy' (stone) so I picked up a piece nearby & exchanged it. The dog wasn't silly it was looking at the stone I had in my hand. I explained to the owner as she approached, me being a good Samaritan (tongue firmly in cheek), I didn't want to see the wee dog choke on this large stone ahem.. apologetic she was & I pocketed the stone, I then cleaned it in the river. At the time I hadn't introduced it to the steel striker. I was wondering then "If" the black layers were flint? It's colour resembles Thornton's toffee with black stripe layers. I sent the photo's to a "stone kicker" initially then she viewed it & she sent me today a positive ID the stone is made entirely from iron (maybe iron carbonate) with a solid iron centre, or with groups or bands of small iron nodules. The black layers are in fact coal & the others are iron ore & rust layers. I've since introduced the stone to the steel striker & it shews sparks like flint Whoo Hoo.. I initially though it was maybe imported as a agate for pathways or such likes but the details given due to the geo location famous for iron ore pig iron & coal etc.. the smooth outer may have been created from the stone rolling & tumbling in the river Clyde, it does originate from Scotland. A nice addition to the FSK box.
    Regards
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Agate_topside.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	13723

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Agate_underside.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	13724

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Nice find!
    I really wouldn't have guessed just by looking at it, that it shews sparks ...

Another rock to add to the hundreds of types that can produce sparks. Very nice!

nice find
    you're only young once, but immaturity lasts for ever
    4 out of 3 people struggle with maths
    there are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't