Thread: Help please, Loose axe mask...

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle

Help please, Loose axe mask...

Hello everyone,
    I have a GB wilderness axe, and the GB mask that came with it.
    A few months ago I gave the axe a seeing to , sharpening it to razor sharp again and then treated it with some camellia oil . Put it away satisfied that I maintained it and ensuring that it will be looked after ...

I got it out yesterday as I was processing some freshly cut horse chestnut, and I noticed that the mask is not fitting tight anymore, in fact its quite loose...
    It seems the strap that goes around (with the pop stud) has stretched?

Is there a way to get it to fit snug again?

Any help welcome, I tried to Google it to no avail.

Thanks in advance

Hmm...there are two things you could try.
    Firstly (and probably the least likely to succeed) is to re-position the pop stud. That's a faff if you don't have the tool. You'll have to pry up the bit that's been peened over, take off the stud, cut a new hole, and then try to re-attach the stud by bashing over the opposite side of the stud (that makes a lot more sense when you look at the stud. Problem is, the strap will need to be loose enough that the new hole doesn't cut into the old hole or else the stud may slip into the old hole. And I doubt it's that loose.

But here's what I would do.

Secondly, you could re-form the leather. This is much easier. Take the mask and let it soak in very hot water for 15 minutes. This will make it go soft and supple. Slather loads of oil/grease on the axe head. Then cover the whole thing with cling film. Lots of it. Then put the wet mask back over the axe head and press and mould the leather closely to the shape of the axe head.
    Then put it in the boiler cupboard (or, if it's a nice sunny day, outside) to dry thoroughly. That will be at least 24 hours, probably more.
    Ta-da! One wet-formed leather axe mask!
    You'll need to give the mask a good waxing after that. Shoe polish will do the trick. Buff it up like you would a pair of shoes.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Thank you Humakt ,
    It does make perfect sense, thank you for the idea,
    I will try the 2nd option first.
    Much appreciated!!!
    Last edited by Woody; 07-06-2016 at 07:21 PM.