Thread: Microadventures

Microadventures

Have you seen this concept that is being pushed by a chap called Al Humphries? I have done a search and can't see it in any results. He is encouraging people to just get out and about and do stuff they wouldn't normally do. I have been following his blog for a while now.

The beauty of what he does is that he makes adventure accessible and is reassuring that the adventure does not have to be BIG to be an adventure, so walking home from work, or using a different route are in there. He is trying to get someone from every county to sleep out just once on a hill this month. Last year my son and me slept out somewhere different each month. We also slept on the lowest point of OS Explorer 141, then walked to the highest point and slept there the next night! He is all about safety too, and is trying to point out that it doesn't have to be Snowdon, Ben Nevis or Everest, just the hill you see from your lounge window!

More here >>>>>> http://www.alastairhumphreys.com/plan-microadventure/

A great idea, and a really easy way into a bit of fresh air!

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarMan View Post
    Have you seen this concept that is being pushed by a chap called Al Humphries? I have done a search and can't see it in any results. He is encouraging people to just get out and about and do stuff they wouldn't normally do. I have been following his blog for a while now.

The beauty of what he does is that he makes adventure accessible and is reassuring that the adventure does not have to be BIG to be an adventure, so walking home from work, or using a different route are in there. He is trying to get someone from every county to sleep out just once on a hill this month. Last year my son and me slept out somewhere different each month. We also slept on the lowest point of OS Explorer 141, then walked to the highest point and slept there the next night! He is all about safety too, and is trying to point out that it doesn't have to be Snowdon, Ben Nevis or Everest, just the hill you see from your lounge window!

More here >>>>>> http://www.alastairhumphreys.com/plan-microadventure/

A great idea, and a really easy way into a bit of fresh air!
    That is exactly what I am doing with my bushcraft. 95% of it happens within a km from the house. I even did a full blown, winter hang in my hammoc...300 meters from the house.
    And that way the little rundt, who was not yet walking, could join me for a couple of hours as well, and when he fell asleep in the snow, I just carried him home to his mom, and that was that for him, will I returned to camp and made dinner over the fire.

ANyway, bushcraft does not have to be an expedition into the great northern wilderness...although some of you may consider where I live excactly that, lol
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Its a good idea, and lets be honest most bushcrafters in the UK have no access to 'wilderness' so most trips are within walking distance of where you parked your car...you could say UK bushcrafters have been doing the 'local' trip thing all along.

I'm making myself walk more and more and now the weather is improving I'll spend more time here

http://www.darevalleycountrypark.co....il-Map-WEB.jpg

only a couple of miles away, ideal for day trips
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Bumping this as it's a great incentive...

I must take a look, quite a bit of my stuff happens within ten miles of home
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

What a great idea.
    Great for anyone to do, whether you are into bushcraft/outdoors stuff or not.
    It just gets you exploring the familiar and realising how unfamiliar so much of it is. The wilderness can be in your own back garden if you want to find it.
    Love these kinds of things.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/