Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camping Equipment Checklist App

Camping Equipment Checklist App

My apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

Here's an app I created. It's for Android 4.0.3 and up.

Since I am unable to post .apk files directly, or even zip files, I've had to change the .apk extension to a .doc extension. If you download the file, be sure to change it back to .apk by viewing file extensions, then renaming it. To download the .apk, choose: APK - Merv'sUltimateUrbanRuralKitCheckList 19May2016

Also supplied is an actual .doc of it, which does not begin with APK-.

The app does not have any device permissions. There's no paid for PRO version of it. It's advert free. There's no analytics. It doesn't track what you do.

On the surface, this app looks as though it was done with a Prepper or Survivalist mindset, but officially it’s really just a Camping Equipment Checklist that I originally made for myself. I kept adding to it and it grew and evolved out of all proportion into what it is now, and then I had the strange notion to share it.

It should be made clear that I do not claim to be an expert in bushcraft, camping, or survival skills. I’m not a prepper or survivalist. I’m explicitly and implicitly entry level, a tenderfoot, a beginner - whose “experience” is what I’ve read in the SAS Survival Guide, the US Army Survival Guide, a book by Ray Mears, and Horace Kephart, and a book about food for free and hedgerow harvests, and a couple of other books. I've watched Ray Mears on television, and Major Les Hiddens (The Bushtucker Man), and Ron and Karen Hood (Hood’s Woods), and several hundred videos from Youtube, and signed up to naturalbushcraft.co.uk. I’ll even freely admit that while I’ve “studied” the concept of making fire with a bow, I’ve never really tried to make fire by that method. The only major accomplishments I’ve done is to climb Ben Nevis (where I stayed overnight to watch the sun set) by way of the Carn Mor Dearg Arête, and I'm 39 miles short of completing the West Highland Way (starting at Glasgow Central Station, not Milngavie)....

With that in mind, welcome to Merv’s Ultimate Urban\Rural Equipment Checklist, which is just an extensive list of items (in 20 categories) that are available to you for when you assemble your Land-based, Urban \ Rural \ Bug In - Bug Out \ Homesteading \ Wilderness, Pandemic, Disaster, Emergency Support \ Every Day Carry, Camping Kit, Package, or Bag - or, in short, your LBURBIBOHWPDESEDCCKPOB.

It certainly is a bold statement to call this app an “Ultimate“ Checklist. Maybe it is the most inclusive and expansive checklist out there, and maybe there are others even more ultimate - but, hopefully I've managed to include most of everything that anybody might need or want.

Be Advised! This app is NOT a teaching device. It does not tell you how to make fires, build shelters, set up traps (or tarps), nor does it impart survival techniques. If you want to learn that go get yourself a survival book of some kind, the SAS Survival Guide by John “Lofty” Wiseman, for example, or attend a survival course, or two. There's hundreds of such books on the market, and a search on the internet will help with the other. Nor is this app a condensed survival manual, although on Blurb (Page) 2 there is a lot of general broad-stroke camping\survival ideas, aide-mémoirs, pointers, helpful hints & tips, and suggestions that might be useful. The list is by no means complete, nor in any way authoritative nor absolute in how you should do things.

Finally, in creating this app, typing a seemingly endless list of items took it’s toll on my sanity, and to alleviate the monotony my nerdy “sense of humour” injected some things into the lists that serve to highlight and underscore the ostensibly absurdity of such an all-encompassing, all-inclusive, checklist. Experienced people may well look down upon this app with derision and scorn - as well they probably should; but people new to the outdoorsy lifestyle, should hopefully find it useful in someway.

The Categories
    Food and Water / Cooking Fishing Kit

Signalling and Communication Shelter and Comfort

Navigation Weather and Bug Protection

Sewing Kit Tools and Knives

Fire Making Weaponry, Hunting, and Trapping

Carrying Equipment Entertainment

Lighting Hygiene and Sanitation

Medical Kit Climbing Equipment

Clothing and Footwear Vehicle Stuff

Homesteading & Boltholes Additional and Other

As far as I'm concerned, the app is as "complete" as it's going to get, and so I would welcome any feedback, ammendments, suggestions, corrections, and whatnot on it.

MtB

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Well done MtB!

Thanks for share, and for the work you've put in to this!

The code appears clean.

No nasties, no permissions, sniffers or analytics ? Great!

That's how apps should be developed!
    (though admittedly some do need permissions such as location for maps and GPS, hardware permissions for camera app or microphone for recoding etc.

I'll be converting this to an .apk , and installing it on my phone.
    I will review and give feedback soon.
    Again , thank you MtB for sharing this and let us know if you're happy for people to check and contribute to the code (open source) as well as with ideas for more info.

Cheers

Last edited by Woody; 28-05-2016 at 06:25 PM.

Can I suggest you upload this to Google play, and add a download link, as for security reasons on Android the security settings the " allow download apk from outside sources" setting is off by default, and people tend to not like downloading apk's out of the Google play realm

Hope this is ok ?

Regards
    Last edited by Woody; 28-05-2016 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MtB View Post
    Experienced people may well look down upon this app with derision and scorn - as well they probably should; but people new to the outdoorsy lifestyle, should hopefully find it useful in someway.
    Good work MtB. I always use a list before heading out so even though I've been doing this for a number of years, as trips often differ slightly meaning the required kit does too. So no derision or scorn from me, but plenty of gratitude. Thanks!

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

I'm 61 so guess I'll need to start using lists in the future as the memory goes a bit.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Excellent picture.

Thanks for downloading. I hope it installed and works and that you've had a good look at it. If you've got any feedback, ammendments, suggestions, corrections, and whatnot on it, I'd be greatful for it.

let us know if you're happy for people to check and contribute to the code (open source) as well as with ideas for more info.
    I'm happy for people to check and contribute to the code with ideas and more info. The app was written with Android Studio and am willing to share the source code.

Can I suggest you upload this to Google play.
    I have been toying with the idea of eventually puting it on Google Play, but for now, I decided on a limited release by posting it here first to try and get some feedback - which unfortunately it has failed to do. So either it's pretty much perfect, or it's so bad it's not worth commenting on...

MtB

Thanks for downloading. I hope it installed and works and that you've had a good look at it. If you've got any feedback, ammendments, suggestions, corrections, and whatnot on it, I'd be greatful for it.

MtB

You missed the Haribo and tube of Pringles off your list.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Buddy it's great, sorry just haven't had time to review it or in fact read it all.
    No errors on my motoG running 5.1 lollipop, all installed (side load) and running fine.
    Will give more feedback soon

Thank you for your patience

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    I'm 61 so guess I'll need to start using lists in the future as the memory goes a bit.
    61 !! I'm 72 but I'm a real Bushcrafter and I downloaded a list onto my phone ages ago...Come on Rik do try to catch up....