Thread: Don't you hate it...

Don't you hate it...

When you enter the bathroom where you keep the washing machine, and your standing in half an inch of water
    because the door seal on the washing machine has ripped open, and the wtaher from a good half hour of washing cycle has been dumped on the floor.
    Of course the only floor drain in the room is built into the shower cabinet. I tried to tell the land lord when he installed it that way....but then that place is not the lowest part of the floor anyway, as I found out today, lol

Luckilly the flooring is water proof, so it was just a case of mopping it all up with some towels...but getting the part for the washing machine will have to wait until after easter as Norway closes at noon tomorrow....
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Norway will close for Easter???😱😵😲😁😁😁

Yes, never come here for easter or christmass, we're closed until Tuesday. All retails stores and supermarkets will be closed. Even some hotels.
    Basically only gas stations will remain open, and pubs and nightclubs will eithe rbe closed or close early.

We're all in the hills skiing and partying our rear ends off...or that is what the media is telling us.
    It's not even religious as even fever people will be in church than on a given sunday...priests are lamenting that they will be preparing services for empty churches.
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 11-04-2017 at 09:38 PM.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Thats a real shame about the churches being empty...
    Not from a religious perspective , but from a craft appreciation one...

In my opinion , Norway has some of the most beautiful churches in the world.

The amazing stave churches !!!

Just awesomeness...

Norway is next on my visit list , and with a bit of luck Autumn will be my first of many visits...😊

Those are all museums now. Some has even been moved to museum sites...
    (Roald Amundsen)

Ah ... Good!👍👍

They deserve to be !!
    At least that way they will be looked after , have curators and many visitors from all over the world...

But i digress...

What a beautiful country you live in Rune.
    Even if they closed all shops from Xmas right up to Halloween....😊

Then everyone would really have to forage and hunt for a living...

👍

All buildings older than a certain year are protected by law. The owners cant do anything on or with them, without permission, and those deemed a national herritage, like the stave churches are granted special protection by law.
    (Roald Amundsen)

It can be fun to be inside them studying the artwork. You find amazing things in the older ones. Like the mark of Odin carved into an altar piece...:-)
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    It can be fun to be inside them studying the artwork. You find amazing things in the older ones. Like the mark of Odin carved into an altar piece...:-)
    Fun is not quite the word, its a true feast ... Brain food as far as I'm concerned...

i mean some of these carvings must have taken years to craft.
    There's so much intricate detail it's unbelievable...

As a carpenter and amateur carver , i can really appreciate the amount of work put into these staves.
    This was when craftsmanship and pride were not motivated by money or time constraints.

It must have been very satisfying for these craftsmen to look at their finished work and hand it over as complete.

Humbling actually

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Fun is not quite the word, its a true feast ... Brain food as far as I'm concerned...

i mean some of these carvings must have taken years to craft.
    There's so much intricate detail it's unbelievable...

As a carpenter and amateur carver , i can really appreciate the amount of work put into these staves.
    This was when craftsmanship and pride were not motivated by money or time constraints.

It must have been very satisfying for these craftsmen to look at their finished work and hand it over as complete.

Humbling actually
    Well well, no stave church up here. There was one, but it was replaced by a fortified stone church around 1250. It even has an outer wall with turrets...the viking age did not stop at Stamford bridge. :-)

Anyway, I like to go an d look at all the medeaval graffitti. The artwork IS amazing I grant you that, but I like the little messages you can find scratched on the walls...made by common people...
    (Roald Amundsen)