Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wigwam Tarp Config

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Just came across this one...
    https://wildernessguide.wordpress.co...ick-tarp-tipi/

That sounds easy enough, might have a bash at that...
    maybe hazel down here in the south... cool project!

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    The following translation was offered to me from my browser. Whilst not perfect, it does give more insight on how to set this up.....

This time I would like to introduce the tension way of tarp tipi that I devised. Tarp that you are using DD tarp XL is. DD Hammocks Japan actually this tipi type shelter, always of 3 × rather than a tarp in the square of 3m has been made ​​of the 3 × 4.5m rectangular tarp. Many people of Tsukai DD tarp in Muscle camp of events. Even from me it was just who our experts are accustomed Hari most people. However, for the first time Rashiku to watch this Hari how even in such a you or are using what tarp of DD Tarp? There was a person who go home to listen to such procedure of tension how the way pegs we use 12 in total. Bush craft basis to peg the local procurement of wood peg. 180cm of Paul I think that it is good if you use the fallen trees and branches before the spanned in the field when considering the tension how the tarp will create a first model, such as a photograph. You can also be the entrance to a full close. And, was a also a problem in considering the current new shelter say it was the next of such points. ● full closed to be able to tension side of the Bikufurai. ● The people there is a residence of about stand in such change of clothes in the middle. ● be strong in wind and rain, which is also the weakness of the shelter. ● construction is also relatively simple, should be noted and it is unmodified. In order tips that stretch well to hit the peg, A → B → C → D → E order in going to hit at will pentagon position from in the pole of about 180Cm ● to stand on the position of the fulcrum as it is the guy line of center rear and bring to feel that wind in it is possible to easily set-up. There is a height of approximately 180cm, there is a height that make the 170cm about the people in the room center. When I'll across the such as leather gloves at the tip of the pole when to launch a pole in I think that stand easily without damaging the fabric. Among There are enough for space to enter the cot + chair + luggage. ※ If you want to full-closed the entrance because of the ventilation Leave a little gap in the rear lower as shown in the photograph. And most of the points tarp tipi is very resistant to wind from any direction, in the tension side of the DD tarp is I think in most of the wind-resistant. But lazy I are a lot more of this style, but ... use tarp: DD Super Light tarp If you are interested by all means try but please look is in!

Is it just me ? Google translation has just overloaded my sensors...
    I think I need a lie down after that.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello Woody,
    There you go both Woody Jnrs project for the summer..
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Just came across this one...
    https://wildernessguide.wordpress.co...ick-tarp-tipi/

That sounds easy enough, might have a bash at that...
    maybe hazel down here in the south... cool project!

Might well do, it's on the (very expandable) to do list now.
    Cheap , easy (with practice) and useful to put up all year round .
    I'll get there in the end...😉

I just stumbled across this --> http://www.survivalprimer.com/Tarp%2...Macpherson.htm

WARNING: It goes on and on and on and on......
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Good grief, it DOES go on and on couldn't be done with it, sorry, it was like Origami for tarps, Youtube is much easier seriously though, there are some great tarp set ups on there

I decided I'd like to try out the tarp config at the start of this post, but the instructions were not giving me confidence. Anyway, I got a scale tarp (bit of paper) and this is how I think it goes. On the diagram, the red lines represent folds in the tarp.

Peg points A & B to the ground.

Make a fold from A to C, pulling point P inwards.
    Make a fold from B to D, pulling point P inwards

Get your 1.8 metre pole with suitable tarp protection at the top so it does not puncture your nice tarp. Place top of pole inside the tarp where the red dot is and get your pole vertical.

Peg points D and C

Peg point E

Here's the part I struggle to explain.

Make a fold at point Z and pull it up and around so it follows the seam running down to B.

Peg out your guy lines.

I hope that make sense. I'll be giving it a go next time I'm out if it's not raining too much. I shall try and get some photos if it goes well. If not, I'll make sure there are no witnesses!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tarp.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	13825
    Last edited by Ehecatl; 16-02-2017 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Typo
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

I must admit to liking my Tipi style tents more and more than hanging now, especially with a stove in them, I have had and sold 2, I have a Seek Outside UL 2 man that I've not pitched ........yet, looking at a Helsport Pasvik too, also, I have recently taken ownership of a HUGE canvas tent ( Ex Forces ) I might look at making something Tipi ish out of it, it should have enough space to cut a proper tipi shape, fingers crossed.

Let us know how you get on Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    I decided I'd like to try out the tarp config at the start of this post, but the instructions were not giving me confidence. Anyway, I got a scale tarp (bit of paper) and this is how I think it goes. On the diagram, the red lines represent folds in the tarp.

Peg points A & B to the ground.

Make a fold from A to C, pulling point P inwards.
    Make a fold from B to D, pulling point P inwards

Get your 1.8 metre pole with suitable tarp protection at the top so it does not puncture your nice tarp. Place top of pole inside the tarp where the red dot is and get your pole vertical.

Peg points D and C

Peg point E

Here's the part I struggle to explain.

Make a fold at point Z and pull it up and around so it follows the seam running down to B.

Peg out your guy lines.

I hope that make sense. I'll be giving it a go next time I'm out if it's not raining too much. I shall try and get some photos if it goes well. If not, I'll make sure there are no witnesses!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tarp.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	13825
    I've just got my head around this!👏👏

Brilliant , I will try this .

I have an old tennis ball that the dog destroyed (split in half) so that will go straight in the DD XL bag to try out next time ...
    Thanks for sharing and explaining M@
    👍👍
    Last edited by Woody; 18-02-2017 at 10:21 AM.

I am another one who likes tipi style shelters, my cheap tipi tent withstood horrendous wind and rain in Yorkshire two years ago, also there is the height for getting changed without the need for adopting the fetal position (was OK when I was younger and slimmer)

Sent by Tigger from my Tablet
    Campfires are best shared with friends.