Thread: Flint and steel problem

Flint and steel problem

Advice please had some flint off Woody got hold of a old file got a section snapped off thanks to my daughter doing it for me .I have been house bound for last few weeks apart from being in hospital long story .
    Tried it tonight got a great edge on the old file but getting hardly any sparks but chipping bits off the flint . I have been trying to google what I am doing wrong and one thing I have found is some people heat treat the file but what I have also read is if the file snaps clean when hit with hammer it should be ok to use ,My daughter leaned the file against the wall one thump and it snapped clean .

So any ideas what I could be doing wrong

Cheers Gerry

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Hello Gerry, it could be the steel or it might be the angle your striking at, it could be that you need to strike a sharp edge for it to spark...

More help on here :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CjMNCCEwv0g

Let us know if it worked.

PS- Hope you have a swift recovery and feel better soon!
    Last edited by Woody; 21-05-2016 at 01:03 AM.

Flint and steel does not produce much in the way of sparks, like a ferro rod does. Often there is just a tiny spark or two, and the trick is to catch it.
    I put my char cloth on top of the stone, and fluff up the edges of the cloth to maximize the chance of catching a spark. Sounds strange to put it on top, but it works.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Gerry they keywords "keep it simple" "perseverance" & mostly "have patience" Have a browse at this YouTube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPwc-4Rrj4g to prep the file if needs be use the edge of the remaining piece of file to *mill the file edge flat or a piece of flat stone. As Rune has said flint sparks are quit small you could try char cloth or one of your harvested cramp balls coal fungus "King Alfred cakes" *it does need to be completely dry BTW, whereupon it will take a spark from traditional flint & steel.
    Regards
    David

One with Nature
    hello,
    Bump.. I'm with a group today teaching basic Bushcraft with mixed abilities. Kinda overcast, humid, no rain as yet. I'm sitting here on the porch having a brew nearby the river edge where they've set up camp & thinking.. I think I'll set you a flint & steel challenge Diviy.. LOL
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Flint and steel does not produce much in the way of sparks, like a ferro rod does. Often there is just a tiny spark or two, and the trick is to catch it.
    I put my char cloth on top of the stone, and fluff up the edges of the cloth to maximize the chance of catching a spark. Sounds strange to put it on top, but it works.

I do exactly the same thing catches the spark quickly to. It's practice using a flint and steel. Make sure the striker has a smooth sharp edge strike against a sharp edge on the stone just watch out for small pieces that can break off and fly towards your eyes. Again as said takes practice to do it
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

Cheers everyone I think I am using to big a Piece of flint with not a sharp enough edge on it time to get the lump hammer out I will let you know how I get on

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Quote Originally Posted by diviy View Post
    Cheers everyone I think I am using to big a Piece of flint with not a sharp enough edge on it time to get the lump hammer out I will let you know how I get on
    Make sure you wear eye protection! !!!
    Hand protection is advised too...
    Hit a lump just on the edge and a flake should come loose.

Then strike the sharp edge of the flake with your steel...

One with Nature
    hello,
    Gerry remember flint is like playing with broken glass.
    Regards
    David