Thread: Hello hello

Hello hello

Since I was a kid I've always been interested in bush craft, but only picked up a limited amount of skills, so thought I'd come here to learn some more.

I recently bought my first axe, a Hultafors HY20 chopping axe, so googling about that was how I found this site.

Look forward to learning some new skills.

I love trekking, wild camping (leaving no trace of course), and mountain biking.

My last big trek was 3 years ago before the birth of my son, trekking unguided on the Inca trails in Peru. Hoping to do some more now he's 2 years old. Have an off-road push buggy which we took hiking when camping in the Lake District last month. Great fun.

Cheers,
    EF

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Hello and welcome EF.
    You'll like it here!

Wow , the Inca trail ...
    You must have passed potosi and the old mines?
    Lovely people the indigenous Inca, amazing place.
    So generous considering how little they have...

Anyways, sorry I drift...
    Welcome!

Hello and welcome.

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Hi mate!

welcome bud

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    to the forum.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Hello and welcome EF.
    You'll like it here!

Wow , the Inca trail ...
    You must have passed potosi and the old mines?
    Lovely people the indigenous Inca, amazing place.
    So generous considering how little they have...

Anyways, sorry I drift...
    Welcome!
    No we didn't venture into Bolivia as we only had limited time. But you're right, the people are very generous. We had a tough time one evening finding a place to pitch our tent, as there had been many landslides. The trail was too narrow to even pitch a tent, and the only space we found big enough after two hours was too wet and not flat. We had been going all day, without meeting a single person, and mostly ascending, and my girlfriend was shattered. So I went ahead alone, leaving my pack, to try and find a suitable pitch with the light fading. Every turn round the mountain I would decide to try till the next one, before heading back admitting defeat. Eventually I got lucky and spotted a local man. In my extremely limited Spanish, but mostly through sign, I explained we needed a pitch, and the man took me to his traditional thatched hut, next to which there was a very sloped space to pitch our tent, but the ground was dry, so it was very welcome. My girlfriend in the meantime had feared the worst and thought I'd fallen down a ravine or something, and was dragging my pack down the trail! The man was very hospitable, but the most amazing thing, which he showed us with a lot of pride, was his fully flushing ceramic toilet. It was quite bizarre being in the middle of nowhere. He had the cistern filling up via a small stream. I'll never forget his pride showing us that.

Thanks for all the welcomes.

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Yep, our expedition leader took us to the mines in Potosi, introduced us to the locals who insisted on putting a banquet of local cuisine out for all 8 of us, followed by a party with music , booze and quite a few giggles.

As a sign of gratitude we all chipped in and tried to give the money to one of the elders, who point blank refused and insisted this is part of their traditional hospitality.
    The lady in the kitchen didn't accept it either and so we just decided to put it in a bag and.... secretly put it in her apron.

Next day , we said goodbye and thank you , we had driven at least 60 miles when we were stopped by a moped...
    Unbelievably it was the son of the lady, who had been sent to return the money that we had "forgotten"....

Needless to say, we didn't accepted but we did apologise to him for causing him coming all that way to get to us, even if in vain

Nicest people you'd hope to meet, and poverty doesn't even cut it. They had very little.

And that was just one of the stories...