Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog owner beahviour I have trouble understanding.

Dog owner beahviour I have trouble understanding.

I have to know if this is occuring in other countries.
    Dog owners in Norway have in the later years engaged in a rather bizarre activity.
    When out walking the dog, and the dog has done it's business, dog owners are expected to remove the evidence...leave no trace in action
    The aproved method is to use a plastic bag (prefarably biodegradable) and pick up the...fertilizer from the dog (how on earth do I word myself not to offend anyone),
    and then transport it to a bin where it can be disposed of. There are even public bins in popular dow walking areas specifically for this purpose!

This so that the rest of us don't step in it, or small children get covered in s... when they play on the ground, as they do.

But in the later years they have instead opted for putting the leftovers from the dog in a a plastiuc bag, and then leaving it behind!
    Or worse, even hang the bag of manure up in nearby trees and bushes!

It not exactly fun to walk in some areas where these stinking bags decorate every second tree or bush.

Has this spread beyond our borders, I have to know!
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello Rune,
    Exact same here Bro. Way back 2010 I arranged for a brand new play area to be installed where I live to replace the outdated one. Originally it was to be an adventure playground constructed of timber no cost to the Council but that's another story.. anyway I asked for signs to be put up around as kids were at play & for dog owners to prohibit their dogs from doing their "business" in or around the play area. It's common sense & the fact which most were aware of the dangers of children coming into contact with dog faeces & urine. In their wisdom "someone" (no names mentioned) decided to get one of the kids to remove the signs so the kids were to blame. Another so called "responsible adult" was placing fireworks in the dog waste bins.. high explosive fireworks + bags of dog poo = there were a few people fined by the Dog Warden £50 on the spot there after. The council offer "pooper scoopers" & bags free of charge & directions to the nearest dog poo bins that weren't destroyed by the fireworks. New bins were installed. There's been accounts of plastic bags hanging from nearby trees too. One or two have since been educated & lesson learned. I remember one woman her grandson was playing at the play area & stood in dog poo covered his trainer shoes, she went ballistic raised a complaint with the council that the boy's trainers were binned as she refused to clean them & something had to be done about dog walkers blah blah blah.. so there you go it's common practice in a variety of areas.
    Regards
    David

At least we are not alone!
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post

But in the later years they have instead opted for putting the leftovers from the dog in a a plastiuc bag, and then leaving it behind!
    Or worse, even hang the bag of manure up in nearby trees and bushes!

Has this spread beyond our borders, I have to know!
    Yes I am sorry to say you are not alone in this ... I have found the offending items hung in bushes

around / along popular cliff top walks , on the approaches to beaches

and in forestry commission woods here in the South East of England ...

To be fair it must be a very small minority that are doing this as the correct receptacles can often

be seen filled to overflowing !!!

Hope it is not going to become a widespread thing it is a truly disgusting and antisocial habit !!!

Cheers Whistle
    Last edited by Whistle; 18-05-2016 at 08:03 PM.
    Life's a beach .... and then the tide comes in ....

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Unfortunately, I have seen it down here too.

I'm guessing people just don't care, or maybe they think because these bags are biodegradable they can just throw them.
    It infuriates me , especially in places of outstanding natural beauty.

I agree with the on spot fines etc. but what else can be done to educate these people ?

Maybe it's a phase, just like disco and prawn cocktails...

Im the type to follow someone if I see doing it, and when I know where they live, collect as many of these bags as I can carry, and dump them in their garden! If its ok for you to dump them anywhere, then its ok for me. Always been of the treat others as you wish to be treated type, and if thats how they want to treat the outdoors, then thats how I will treat thier gardens! Sorry but it reallly infuriates me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where I live and walk the Benny (the dog) there are signs up that state "Bin that poo, any bin will do". As with anything, it's the irresponsible individuals that let the rest of us down.

I recall reading an article in a local paper where a wife kept reporting her husband for not clearing up when his dog fouled. The husband was fined in each case. The council eventually worked out that the "reward" for reporting such incidents was £10 more than the fine the husband got!
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

We get it here too. It really irritates me because poop hanging on a bush in a bag takes longer to decompose than if not picked up, and then you have plastic bag - oh boy.

Some enlightened Councils provide boo-degradable bags for free. The problem is that stupid/mean/naive people take them by the handful and then there are none for anyone else
    - But, The Emperor Mong is watching and these bags start to degrade pretty fast; so when the cheapskates reach the end of their filched supply, there's every chance that things will go horribly wrong

Just as an aside - Does anyone remember a TV programme called "The Worst Jobs in History" It was presented by Baldrick or what ever his name is. It was full of some the vilest jobs you possibly manage

Well, I can now top anything that was on the programme

Staying on a Campsite in North Devon, I had taken the Hound for his morning walk when I came across some staff who had the unenviable job of ripping open the Poo bags. They did this because the bags didn't decompose quickly enough - the look on their faces was something to behold as they had gone a strange greeny grey colour...
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    happybonzo projectile vomit.. I remember down in New Lanark Heritage centre when they had a display of finds that were dug up whilst they were working on the site & within such polythene bags complete with contents & most of all I remember a few Golden Wonder crisp bags complete with the price tag if memory serves me 2p on the crisp bag corner, these were landfill or fly tipping from away back in the 1970's & this was some 20 years later. The crisp bad resembled something that was discarded yesterday. I dread to see in future episodes of Time Team excavating some finds from the later half of the 20th Century petrified dog poo complete with bag..
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    Some enlightened Councils provide boo-degradable bags for free. The problem is that stupid/mean/naive people take them by the handful and then there are none for anyone else - But, The Emperor Mong is watching and these bags start to degrade pretty fast; so when the cheapskates reach the end of their filched supply, there's every chance that things will go horribly wrong Just as an aside - Does anyone remember a TV programme called "The Worst Jobs in History" It was presented by Baldrick or what ever his name is. It was full of some the vilest jobs you possibly manage Well, I can now top anything that was on the programme Staying on a Campsite in North Devon, I had taken the Hound for his morning walk when I came across some staff who had the unenviable job of ripping open the Poo bags. They did this because the bags didn't decompose quickly enough - the look on their faces was something to behold as they had gone a strange greeny grey colour...