Thread: slate to sharpen blades

slate to sharpen blades

On another post David_JAFO said to try slate I had a load from the old church roof for edging my garden boarders .
    Got a 2"x6" flattened it using the underneath of a ceramic tile tried it on my pen knife the blade is like a scalpel now done my folder same result,so out the back I have a 24"x24"x5/8" piece of slate I used to used under my turntable before I got a acrylic isolation platform for the turntable so when I can get the tile cutter out I am going to try that .I am totally amazed how sharp my edges on the blades are now .

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle

Wow, now I'll have to try this out as well
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I first used a slate whetstone strop in my teens (longtime ago). I haven't so far noted this discussed on Bushcraft forums in recent years. The types of Welsh slate I mentioned (quarried) Dragons Tongue & Purple Llyn Melynllyn the Green/Grey colour I asked my Welsh friend in Senghenydd this is nicknamed "Welsh Thuringian" aka Cambrian Green. These are difficult to gauge the grit as the slate is so smooth. In wetting the stone by either oil, water or *spit (saliva) the slate produces a surface slurry or film which acts like a paste this hones the blade in no time. I'd put the Welsh slate up against the other types of Whetstone any day, they're an excellent alternative to Belgian, Japanese & Arkansas stones. Diviy if you can find a thick piece & round or square it off cut it to a natural shape, look at the branded type whetstones, you could be onto a trade with Bushcrafters. Just my 2p worth.
    Regards
    David