Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knife sharpening question

All I use is a cheap whetstone from Clas Ohlson, for £5.49 in the UK.
    http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Whetstones/40-9031

It has a coarse and fine side, combined with a a paddle strop they give razor sharp edges. If you don't have a padle strop just take and old belt. Eirther use the belt as is, or
    glue it to a piece of wood.

No need for fancy sharpening systems, at least not of your knife has a scandi grind.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    to the forum Dean77 caution it is very addictive..
    The 3 Welsh slates googlefu them Dragon's tongue, Purple Llyn Melynllyn, & Dark Green or Gray Slate. There are stores in Wales that actually sell these ready made but come at a price. As Rune has said quote "Their sharpening stones where so well used they where completely rounded off, not a flat surface to be seen on them, but their knives where always sharp as razors." that's how I've seen these Welsh slate whetstones very smooth through use. I'm good Diviy thank you. I've got access if needs be to quarried Welsh slate or the actual manufactured product. The "solid slates" used for flooring work surfaces not the crumbly brittle layered nodules can be used in conjunction with flint to shew sparks tried & tested a longtime ago & I found a nodule recently which also shewed sparks with flint. Don't ask why.. I recall a number of years ago training in Sennybridge Welsh Mountains & there was a FSK (fire starter kit) with flint & some agates included a nodule of Welsh slate used as a striker with the flint. The nodule I found recently was Purple Llyn Melynllyn it's solid not brittle & weighty. I struck it off a piece of *Woody's Wiltshire flint & a piece of Croydon flint using both char cloth & amadou. It takes patience BTW not just one striker & instant fire & as always not all nodules of agates or in this case Welsh slate are hot rocks.
    Regards
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Purple Llyn Melynllyn.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	13663

Quote Originally Posted by Dean77 View Post
    Hi guys, im brand new to this site and this is my first post, but I too never knew you could sharpen with slate....is there a best type to try with does anyone know?
    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk