Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flint striker

well I was going to ask if a file was any good to use as a striker, this answers my question.
    when my last shed collapsed I put everything in boxes etc, today was the last box to be emptied, and low and behold an envelope from ammo off here with flint in. so now I am going to butcher an old file (got a bucket full of them off freecycle ages ago) and make a striker
    Tony
    you're only young once, but immaturity lasts for ever
    4 out of 3 people struggle with maths
    there are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Keep us posted.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by surplus 6 View Post
    well I was going to ask if a file was any good to use as a striker, this answers my question.
    when my last shed collapsed I put everything in boxes etc, today was the last box to be emptied, and low and behold an envelope from ammo off here with flint in. so now I am going to butcher an old file (got a bucket full of them off freecycle ages ago) and make a striker
    Tony

this weekend hopefully, I've also booked Monday off for a nice bit of me time

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Good lad you cannot beat a bit of ME time.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by surplus 6 View Post
    this weekend hopefully, I've also booked Monday off for a nice bit of me time

I think I'll tell the wife when she gets home after she finishes work Monday afternoon lol

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Now that would be playing with fire ....(again) unless you got her dinner ready for when she gets back ... browny points .

Lightbulb

For the "Flint" object in F&S we can use hundreds of types of rocks. Sandstone, granite, onyx, agate, jasper, dolomite, etc as well as many flints, cherts and quartzes. Carbide steel will also work. The key here is hardness. It must be harder than and sharp enough to scrape off tiny bits of the "Steel".

For the "Steel" object in F&S we can use several types of pyrites, titanium, steels from 1055-1095, A2, O1, O2, W1, W2 and L6. Improvised strikers such as shovels, chisels, putty knives, razor knives, Olfa blades, screwdrivers, files, fish hooks, rasps, rakes, hoes, saw blades (hand saw, bow saw, hacksaw, etc. Note: very few SawzAll blades work), axes, knives, golf clubs, etc. Of course some objects will work better than others, so experiment and see what works for you.