Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flint striker

Flint striker

Having some flint from woody but what the cheapest metal striker I can make .I would love to buy a blacksmiths made one but skint at the moment car have head gasket done plus other work as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Real-Flint...cAAOxyOMdS5BIh Six quid delivered, a good starting point but bare in mind the limitations of using flint as a fire starter.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Check your PM's. There's a few Blacksmiths "Smiddy's" in South Wales that I'm sure of. They could possibly make you a custom made steel striker. I'm sure the "smiddy" might have something lying around as 'scrap' that could be used if you ask nicely to test a piece with flint for effectiveness? An old file there's bound to be one lying around you could use to shew sparks with until your sorted? £1 Shop tools dept. I've seen hand size files with plastic handles the plastic can be removed. Just my 2p worth.
    Regards
    David

One with Nature
    hello,
    Bump.. Diviy have a browse at this high carbon steel flint striker made from the end of a file as an example. The edge of a file same size *minus the wood thumb grip with an added lanyard could be constructed from a old file or from one bought any iron mongers or £ shop etc.. simple but effective.
    Regards
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	high carbon steel flint striker.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	13655

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello,
    Bump.. Diviy have a browse at this high carbon steel flint striker made from the end of a file as an example. The edge of a file same size *minus the wood thumb grip with an added lanyard could be constructed from a old file or from one bought any iron mongers or £ shop etc.. simple but effective.
    Regards
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	high carbon steel flint striker.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	13655
    Thats a cool striker !
    Helpful advice too David ...

For cheapness I would break a file and use it - get one from a car boot for 50p

One with Nature
    hello Greenbear,
    I mentioned to Diviy also the £1 shops have tool sections that contain small files that could be shaped or broken for striking purposes. I don't have any spare strikers or I would have traded with Diviy.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbear View Post
    For cheapness I would break a file and use it - get one from a car boot for 50p

If you have any old files in your garage or basement just break a piece off they make great strikers. That's what my first one was
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

One with Nature
    hello,
    bikebum1975 Gerry started a new thread using a file as a steel striker.. http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...-steel-problem
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by bikebum1975 View Post
    If you have any old files in your garage or basement just break a piece off they make great strikers. That's what my first one was

well I was going to ask if a file was any good to use as a striker, this answers my question.
    when my last shed collapsed I put everything in boxes etc, today was the last box to be emptied, and low and behold an envelope from ammo off here with flint in. so now I am going to butcher an old file (got a bucket full of them off freecycle ages ago) and make a striker
    Tony
    you're only young once, but immaturity lasts for ever
    4 out of 3 people struggle with maths
    there are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't