Thread: My surf caster broke.

My surf caster broke.

Went down to the docks to see if I could catch myself some halibut today.
    Used feathers to get some bait, and had 2-3 green saithe on the first cast. SO time to load for the real thing.

Made ready, and with half the combined population of Lithuania, Poland and syria as witnesses (nobody else is fishing in there, we have 3 ship yards in town that have been dumping waste in the harbour for 100 years, I am surpised the fish is not glowing in the dark down there) I made ready to cast. And forgot that with that weight on it was not wise to throw my full weight into it for a 150 meter cast, but rather to just lob it out, it just need to go 10-15 meters out...so SNAP! and I saw a good half meter of rod go flying with my bait out there...I actually laughed myself silly, and was offered tea by a frioendly syrian, who was suprised when I thanked him in Arabic...I've spent some years in the middle east, he he

well, well, packed up and went to wait for the wife in runt who were in the swimming pool...

Going to be a chore finding a new rod. Surf casters are diffcult to find here, more so when it is a Multi reel configuration I need...last time I had to rebuild one.
    So I may just get myself a couple of carp rods...
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 05-05-2016 at 02:50 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Ouch, had a similar thing happen once to a fly rod, must have stood on it without realising

First car, now rod - you aren't having much luck Rune. They come in threes so prepare for the next one.
    “If the apple won't fall - go shake the tree.”
    ― Isaac Newton

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    If they're easier to get here in the UK , I'd be more than happy to help, send it to you or something like that... Just a thought....

just spent all my disposible cash on new tyres for the car....
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Oh , I see...
    I know how that feels.
    Just 2 weeks ago paid good part of £400 to get the van through MOT (UK test) and now I can hear the wheel bearings have gone on the front...
    Hopefully luck will change soon , for all of us.
    The offer is there when you get lucky...

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Oh , I see...
    I know how that feels.
    Just 2 weeks ago paid good part of £400 to get the van through MOT (UK test) and now I can hear the wheel bearings have gone on the front...
    Hopefully luck will change soon , for all of us.
    The offer is there when you get lucky...
    We'll see. Sending fishing rods is a risky and expensive business. I did try to order one from the UK some years ago. The 3 piece fishing rod, arived as a five piece fishing rod, and the shipping cost was a nightmare...So I think I'll do what I did last time, just get one locally and rebuild it. Still have all the tools I need and I can recycle the rings from the old one. The trouble is not finding a rod per se, it is finding one that is meant for Bait casting reels. Everyone on Norway, except me uses open faced fixed spool reels for this.
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 05-05-2016 at 05:28 PM.
    (Roald Amundsen)

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    DITTO play the lottery Rune.. 3rd time lucky.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Ichneumon View Post
    First car, now rod - you aren't having much luck Rune. They come in threes so prepare for the next one.

If you have the damaged section use this kit to repair kithttp://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products...epair-kit.aspx
    I have rebuilt pole section`s and they are super strong

Gerry