Thread: Heat treating blades

Heat treating blades

Hi guys, hope alls well out there with ya'll. I've made a couple of blades recently but whilst tempering then in my oven it would seem i managed to over cook um! They came out purple. I've used o1 tool steel. The info sticker stated a higher temp than i expected for 57/59 rc (about 242ish i think) I have sharpened one of them and given it a bit of stick on seasoned hazel ie general cutting and a bit of battoning and it will still cut paper afterwards. Anyway, what i was wondering is if i have to re-harden and temper them do i need to anneal the steel before i harden or can i go straight from the tempered state? Many thanks guys.Atb Daz.

If you want to start over it's proabably better to anneal it first. Although from the sounds of it it's plenty hard enough

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply mate. I have given it a little more use on some seasoned oak now and it seems to be holding an edge reasonably well , i'll give it a longer before i handle it but fingers crossed it might be ok. Thanks again.(good to know what to do if i get it wrong again) Atb. Daz.
    Last edited by Badger 73; 09-05-2016 at 06:46 AM. Reason: not complete