Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Inner Tube - How Many Uses?

Trapper
    Cool, cheers! Now to think of something inspiring to write!
    failing to prepare = preparing to fail

Pray not for a lighter load, but for a stronger back.

you can get some old car inner tube from a tyre shop/garage and the bigger size allows more inventive uses.

if you get the two sections of a fishing rod stuck together they need a pull and twist to separate. use a couple of pieces of opened out inner tube on each side of the rod joint and you will be able to grip the rod blank securely and prevent it slipping when you twist.
    you call that a knife...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrell freddy View Post
    I like what you did there! I simply used the inner tube slightly higher to hold the knife handle, as shown the knife can be held upside down and still doesn't fall out! The knife was shaving sharp and still with extensive use did not slit the rubber, I think I will be adding more to hold fire steels, cordage etc in place and of course it could act as emergency tinder.

Unrelated, I'm new to the whole forum thing, how do I add a signature block at the bottom of my posts?!

Attachment 8503Attachment 8504
    I thought this was a cracking idea and so did the same. I also added a bit of additional inner tube to the sheath so the knife can be attached to a stick that's been pushed into the ground for those frequent use scenarios....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3467.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	8738
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    I thought this was a cracking idea and so did the same. I also added a bit of additional inner tube to the sheath so the knife can be attached to a stick that's been pushed into the ground for those frequent use scenarios....

Name:	DSCN3467.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	8738
    Very handy! To be fair I think I'll be adding a few wraps of inner tube just because its so handy, also found these tins of mints in Aldi (no affiliation) which can fit a small fire steel and some tinder inside or what ever you feel you need to keep close at hand!

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	8739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	8740
    failing to prepare = preparing to fail

Pray not for a lighter load, but for a stronger back.

great for impressing young kiddies during firelighting demos when you pull a bit out of the bottom of a bucket of water and light it
    [

this might have been posted already but didnt want to trawl through the large amount of pages but if you need to split logs for fire wood use two tubes stretch them round your logs untill tight and then whack away with the axe, all your fire wood is contained by the two tubes stopping it pinging off every where also works really well with old tyres,car tyres etc

Quote Originally Posted by MadZ View Post
    this might have been posted already but didnt want to trawl through the large amount of pages but if you need to split logs for fire wood use two tubes stretch them round your logs untill tight and then whack away with the axe, all your fire wood is contained by the two tubes stopping it pinging off every where also works really well with old tyres,car tyres etc
    Well bought up MadZ. Don't think that was had been mentioned before
    I have seen a video on youtube where a guy uses an old tyre to contain the splits.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

when all else fails, a a ranger band ( rubber band made from an innertube) cut in half and stuck on a hook makes a passable mackerel lure

In Thailand they use them as tree huggers for hammock suspension.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum